Charleston Day dock

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone. I live in western South Carolina, and am planning a day trip to Charleston. My wife would like to explore down town a few hours in between boating. Are there any good places to dock up for a few hours while exploring the city? Will be there with my 18' dual console bay boat.

robert graham

Admiral
Not much dockage close to downtown other than the Ashley River Marina, but it's about a mile walk along the battery to downtown....if you don't mind a nice walk. Of course you could get a cab from the Marina to downtown and the Market area....
Cruise over to Shem Creek for easy dockage and several great restaurants. Lots to see and do in Charleston!....

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info! I see there is a public day dock on shem creek. I suppose we could tie up there and call a taxi or uber to take us downtown. Alternatively, it may be better for us to just explore the city this weekend and go back another day with the boat. I hate to go without exploring by water - but the other half does enjoy historical cities.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day everyone! Just thought I would give a little update! We ended up taking our sea hunt escape 175 to Charleston and are so glad we did! The Charleston city marina does indeed have short term parking for small boats at what I think is a very fair $5 per hour. Just call them up on channel 68 and they will set you up. We put in and directly went to the marina and explored downtown for a few hours. We then went out to capers island and anchored off to swim. Caper's was quite busy but we found a place to anchor and had a good time. Charleston harbor was quite rough in the afternoon and evening but I was pleased with how my little sea hunt handled. We ended the evening by grabbing a bite to eat at R.B.'S on Shem creek before heading back to the ramp. All in all, it was a great day! Just a note for those who may not be aware, the tidal currents can get quite strong in the creeks and ICW. Better to use these to help you dock/launch/retrieve your boat, rather than trying to work against them. Luckily we happened to get back to the ramp at slack water so it was a non event.