After boat is repaired what short cruise and marina would you recomend St Pete ??

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Regal Commodore 30 ft. is kept at a marina in Cape Canaveral .
​Bit large too tow all the time but when service is needed I have a 3 axle 14000 lb rated trailer that hauls like a dream
​Engines 4.3 are being rebuilt at a engine shop in ST PETE Florida . Once completed I am thinking lets stay few weeks on west coast
​At one time was considering leaving boat St Pete , Clearwater area but traffic from Orlando and distance is a killer , plus my marina offers options no other marina offers .
What would fellow boaters recommend , marina, few day journey , I stayed in past , Indian Rocks Beach, Maderia , the state marina is nice
​Once boat in water I want too leave it with a open time frame.
​Possibly a day journey south ,
good shake down and if any problems shop can address while I am local too them
​Pull it when I am going back too Cape
​We have a generator and don't want too anchor over night, don't trust my anchoring, ( hehehe ) we need floating docks due too handicap

​thoughts is appreciated

​thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Do you want to go bar hopping or sight seeing or both?

Make sure your charts are up to date. The ICW and the bays around st Pete get skinny fast.

What I would recommend is a stop at Gators in Johns Pass for the buffalo shrimp and a bucket of long necks, then south a bit, maybe stop at one of the piers at Bradentons river walk. I wouls suggert a tour of Egmont, however you mentioned handicap.

From there, go south, hang out at Jew fish key, maybe stop in Cortez at the swordfish grill. From there, head down the ICW thru Sarasota, the out in the gulf and down to the Captiva area. Maybe overnight on cabage key, or at tween waters at sanibel/captiva.

From there, head down to the keys, spend a day in Islamorada. Plenty of places to stay

Then head North the next day

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scott thanks for the info
Do you know about Caledesi Island .
​Heard good things , only access by water. Has floating docks with electric & water
​Since I am over 65 few bucks a day . Ability too stay over night .
​ Maderia State Marina can stay aboard with electric & water reasonable
​John's Pass marina lots of action within walking distance . Once I launch I have no vehicle .
​From there not sure .

​Will check once I am done with this post, you sound knowable , heard its closer too get to Marathon which is island I generally go too from St Pete then Cape Canaveral ? if so how far ?

​thanks again