Boating etiquette

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes for sure, to be honest i was pretty nervous the first time unloading the boat. Mainly because I didn't wanna take to long. I'm not bad at unloading, but loading the boat back on the trailer is another story haha. EZ load trailer my a** lol. Gonna invest in some loading guides because it seems it's extremely hard to get my boat centered. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, probably just an experience thing.

I never have trouble launching or loading on my EZLoader. Here is how far I back in to launch or load
DSC_0075b.jpg

On occasion, I haven't even backed in that far to load
DSC_7165a.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
To add to all of the other advice ...

If you're not familiar with the lake you're going to be on, I recommend that you take an easy cruise around the area you intend to use. Get a chart of some sort if you can, but at least give it some kind of "once over." I've seen people hit sandbars, rocks and trees stumps - run through no wake zone - near misses at marina entrances - you name it - because they just dropped in the lake and shoved the throttle forward.

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Be constantly looking around and one thing that is key is that many times you will see someone but they can't see you. It is up to you to move out of the way because ometimes they won't.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I never have trouble launching or loading on my EZLoader. Here is how far I back in to launch or load

On occasion, I haven't even backed in that far to load

At first glance, your top picture looks a little too deep. (hence your followup comment.) The top one leaves lots of room for the boat to float sideways and end up with a chine on top of the bunk.

ahicks

Captain
Long time lakefront resident here too (over 40 years), that's been dealing with weekend warriors forever. IMHO, the absolute worst accidents are the ones where somebody turns sharply (left or right, makes no difference), right in front of somebody overtaking them. Do not allow yourself to be in that position! Assume that moron you're about to pass is absolutely clueless, or incapacitated.

One of the scariest, is following somebody pulling a skier, or when they kind of slide over in front of you. This scenario when you're pulling a skier even worse. You can just about plan on that skier falling down right in front of you. An easy circle to the left (after clearing the turn), works great as that will space you a couple hundred yards back. Don't be mad, just fix the problem!

Best plan, avoid areas with too high a concentration of boats. Those come and go and move around on a lake constantly. When you sense you may be part of one, it's time to go check out another part of the lake for a while. Don't just plod along trying to maneuver carefully. There's too many scenarios where 2 or 3 un-anticipated things happen at once, leaving you looking for a way out.....

Geez, have fun, enjoy your boat, but be careful!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Scenario :

Which boat has the right of way if any.

A boat travelling parallel outside of a marina or a boat travelling perpendicular to enter same marina ? Would size be a determining factor if both are running at reduced speeds ?

Happy Boating

alldodge

Staff member
Scenario :

A boat travelling parallel outside of a marina or a boat travelling perpendicular to enter same marina ? Would size be a determining factor if both are running at reduced speeds ?

Happy Boating

Were the boat is going is irrelevant, the boat to starboard must yield, the boat to port right of way.
This is for power boat to power boat. Sailing vessel always has right of way over a power boat so long as the sail boat is not under power (even if sails are up),
That said, the number one rule is always avoid even if your the stand on vessel.

overtakingrules-400x585.jpg

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes for sure, to be honest i was pretty nervous the first time unloading the boat. Mainly because I didn't wanna take to long. I'm not bad at unloading, but loading the boat back on the trailer is another story haha. EZ load trailer my a** lol. Gonna invest in some loading guides because it seems it's extremely hard to get my boat centered. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, probably just an experience thing.

I have an EZ-Loader trailer with rollers. The first few times using it, retrieving my boat, it would always list too much when pulling out of the water. I found the trick to this problem and yours is to not put the trailer in too deep. I have gotten several comment about how I don't back in deep enough when retrieving.

But I found that pulling the boat up on to the rollers with the winch works great. I centers the boat quickly and keeps it from listing. It is a bit more work cranking the the handle using the strap so much, but makes the overall process great.

So, don't back in so much. The boat should be resting on the trailer before you pull out.

ahicks

Captain
Scenario :

Happy Boating

Agree location has nothing to do with it, with maybe an exception when it comes to being near shore or some other non movable obstruction. At that point you can't expect somebody to go up onto a beach to avoid you. A little respect for a fellow boater is in order....

Regarding size, common sense needs to come into play here many times. If you're driving a runabout, you don't want to mess with a lake freighter or a tug/barge to see if he knows/respects the right of way rules, right? A dingy vs. a large cruiser? Again, respect for other boaters (and a little common sense) comes into play. Put yourself in their place if you have any question regarding your next move. Sometimes "right" isn't right at all.....