For those in the North East...

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
When are you dropping the boat back in? I am shooting for sometime in April but realistically I'm thinking Early May

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Mine is a trailer queen garage dweller, but for us it really depends on water temps. I shoot for as early as possible. We try to do some boating late April, early May. I'm happiest when the river gets to atleast 70 degrees.

I don't normally fish off my boat, but fish with some buddies in the Chesapeake Bay early to mid April.

tpenfield

Staff member
May 9th 1977 . . . IIRC. . . we got about 8 inches of heavy wet snow :facepalm:

superbenk

Commander
Aiming for sometime in April but often ends up beginning of May. Philadelphia area. But I trailer my boat everywhere.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where in the northeast?
I am more worried about getting a big snowstorm in April like we did one year!
Chesapeake Beach, Md.
The likelyhood of measurable snow falling on any given day as of April 1 is 5%. That number decreases to less than 1% on April 30th.

Would you stay home from a fishing trip over a 5% chance of thunder storm? No me ;)

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Chesapeake Beach, Md.
The likelyhood of measurable snow falling on any given day as of April 1 is 5%. That number decreases to less than 1% on April 30th.

Would you stay home from a fishing trip over a 5% chance of thunder storm? No me ;)

Fair way of putting it but you are over 500 miles south!

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Optimistically speaking mid March (striper run),... realistically speaking early April. Just south of Albany, NY

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Gonna shoot for as early as possible this year, probably March around SC PA. Im close to an electric only lake

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I always say April 15th to hunt for big Channel Cats in the Grand River but it usually becomes the 1st week of May for a shakedown before Walleye opener in central Ontario mid May. I do not like the cold. I have a pal that put his 15 foot Lund into Lake Erie last week in the Niagara area looking for perch it has been so mild here. The boat got wet, he got cold and the perch are safe. Another friend doesn't winterize his boat. If there is open water he launches it. The lower Niagara River never freezes and that 71 year young nut fishes it all winter often solo. I don't even want to think about towing even a small boat and a snow storm happens along.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
April 15 is when Marina opens and you can put uprights in for your dock ,Portage River Port Clinton Lake Erie .

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I try to have my tinbarge in the water tied in my slip from April 1, to mid-November,....

Though it's more likely, 'n averages out to more like the 1st of May, til sometime in October when the big pond's water level really drops,....
'bout the latest in since I bought the lake front was early June launch, 'n late-September haul-out,...

That could all change with the with the new water level agreement, 2014D, which calls for water levels a foot higher, 'n a foot lower than plan 1958D,....
Another foot higher, puts it 'bout 4" over my patio,.... :rolleyes:

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
What part of the country Bondo,... you sound a bit higher on the hemisphere..

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Chaumont river at Chaumont Bay,.... Northeast corner of Lake Ontario,...

'tween 44?, just short of 45th latitude,...
Ever so slightly above the usually lake-effect snow areas,....

Trout opens April 1,...
usually have other things needin' doin' though,...

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Ah yes,... I used to visit a friend in Watertown,... Alex Bay was fun. !

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ayuh,.... Chaumont river at Chaumont Bay,.... Northeast corner of Lake Ontario,...

'tween 44?, just short of 45th latitude,...
Ever so slightly above the usually lake-effect snow areas,....

Trout opens April 1,...
usually have other things needin' doin' though,...

I hope it's your river that will rise a foot, if it's all of Lake O that is insane. Maybe they will only raise the water level on the American side of the lake.

Bondo

Staff member
I hope it's your river that will rise a foot, if it's all of Lake O that is insane. Maybe they will only raise the water level on the American side of the lake.

Nope,..... It's the international commission's deal for the Moses dam at Massena/ Cornwall, on the mighty St. Lawrence river, 'n all of Lake Ontario,...
Though I'm sure the Chaumont river will also be effected,...