I am having so much fun with a trailered cuddy...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Over the past four seasons, my wife and I have been towing our 25 foot Regal all over the north east US and having a blast on 2 to 7 day cruises. We've cruised the Hudson River from Saugerties to NYC, Lake George, 1000 Islands, Southern Maine and NH coasts, Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, Lake Champlain, Narragansett Bay, and our "home lakes": Winnipesaukee and Sebago/Long Lake/Songo River. It is a fantastic lifestyle and all things considered, pretty inexpensive. If you are thinking about trying something like this, go for it, it's just incredible.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your RV....er tiny house..... has a propeller

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
A trailered cuddy has always been a dream of mine, but I'll have to wait till my kids and I are done wakeboarding...that would be awesome being able to travel around "camping" on new lakes several times a year

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Two things that really help with these trips are full camper canvas and a chart plotter. We use the camper canvas every night aboard unless we are staying at the dock at a friend's waterfront house (thus hanging out with them in their house until bed time). It turns the cockpit into a very cozy and comfortable "great room" for relaxing, meals and cocktails, movies, web surfing and such, keeps the dew off the cockpit, and keeps the bugs out. While it does not offer tons of privacy, with the lights out there's enough shadow to give enough. The advantage of the chart plotter needs no explanation...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
While it does not offer tons of privacy, with the lights out there's enough shadow to give enough
Have some light weight curtains made that attach with velcro. That's what we always had. We sewed them ourselves since my mom is the one that made the camper canvas. Our curtains were just some light weigh terry cloth material.

tpenfield

Staff member
Mischief Managed I have enjoyed following your voyages and seeing the pictures that you post. Camper top is a must for overnight. We never overnighted in our 24 foot cuddy as it was just too small down below and no bimini or camper top. I think your Regal is set up better in that regard.

I think if I lived closer to the NH & VT lakes, I'd do as you do. . . trailerable boat and go places.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I love this idea!!!

Just do it. Pick a fun place and go. If 1000 Islands is a reasonable distance away, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's well-marked, easy to navigate, stunningly beautiful, loaded with interesting boating destinations, and transient slips for smaller boats are very inexpensive. I only paid 25 bucks a night for an utterly quiet and wake/wave-free slip with electricity at French Creek Marina. That included the use of the launch ramp and parking for my truck and trailer.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1000 Islands question.

I was in Gananoque a couple of times as a kid many years ago and finally went back to Alexandria Bay a couple of years ago w/out the boat and loved it. I want to go back with my boat but wonder how you handled crossing the border? I know you can cross over on the water without landing and be OK but not supposed to land on Canadian land without calling their customs. How did you handle that if you did it?

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you navigate the 1000 Islands often and are eligible the easiest way is to get your Nexus card. You call Canada customs 45min-3h00 in advance with your ETA and destination. Same for re-entering the US. ***All people on board must be Nexus members***. If you apply for the Nexus specify its for marine so they'll make you fill the extra paperwork right away.

Otherwise you have to find a destination with a telephone reporting site. Only the captain can get off the boat until clear to go. Bring all passports and proceed immediately to the phone on arrival. Same process for re-entering the US. Keep the release number for your reference.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just do it. Pick a fun place and go. If 1000 Islands is a reasonable distance away, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's well-marked, easy to navigate, stunningly beautiful, loaded with interesting boating destinations, and transient slips for smaller boats are very inexpensive. I only paid 25 bucks a night for an utterly quiet and wake/wave-free slip with electricity at French Creek Marina. That included the use of the launch ramp and parking for my truck and trailer.

French Creek marina is a very good place in Clayton, NY. They are Volvo Penta fast response dealer and they have a huge warehouse with tons of parts. If you can't get under the bridge they also have a dock on Union street after the bridge (where the 2$ self pump-out is).

The new municipal marina on the east side is also very nice and closer to the downtown area. For anybody visiting Clayton don't miss their boat museum.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
1000 Islands question.

I was in Gananoque a couple of times as a kid many years ago and finally went back to Alexandria Bay a couple of years ago w/out the boat and loved it. I want to go back with my boat but wonder how you handled crossing the border? I know you can cross over on the water without landing and be OK but not supposed to land on Canadian land without calling their customs. How did you handle that if you did it?

Crossing was very easy. As we approached the Canada border, we called Canada Immigration with mobile phone and informed them of our plans to tie up in Gananoque. They told us to call back when we were tied to the dock and not to leave the boat until we got a release number. It was easy and painless. When we got back to the US, we landed in Clayton and went to a video phone kiosk where the woman on the other end seemed surprised anyone was calling. She let us back in quickly and easily, but I'm guessing few people bother.