Rod run and doowop, Charleston, WV

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I'm a bit slow posting but figured better late than never. About 0700 October 5th, I launched from the public ramp near my home. Rather than leave my truck and trailer unattended for a week, I drove it home and walked back (about two blocks downhill). My stepson came by so I was able to leave the boat running while I parked.
The morning was crisp and dew covered everything. Fortunately the defroster and helm heater work very well.

It's a 56 mile trip up the Kanawha River with one lock located at Winfield. As I headed south (the river flows north), I enjoyed the quiet solitude of the glassy river. Within ten miles I neared the town of Buffalo, and caught the first hint of the fun to come.

This slowed my progress significantly for the next 15 miles. I eventually broke out of the fog in time to wave at one of the many coal barges that ply this river.

Approaching the Winfield Lock and Dam, this is about the halfway mark of my trip.

And out...

About 28 miles later, approaching Charleston.

Two days before the event and berths are filling up.

The admiral stopped by to ensure I hadn't harmed her flagship.

I'm the one pointing the wrong way (only way to reach the shore power).

We lived aboard for five days. Camper canvas makes a huge difference.

I didn't win the raffle...

There were over 1000 cars entered in the show.

Hey! This one's for sale!

Saturday night closed with the obligatory fireworks.

Sunday morning we left the car in Charleston and the admiral supervised the trip back home.