Penobscot Bay

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Thinking about a 2 to 4 day trip to Penobscot Bay next year. We have a 25 foot trailer boat that my wife and I can live aboard quite comfortably for at least a week at a time. We enjoy transient slips and nights on the hook. We really enjoy visiting different ports and getting out to walk around. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... In downtown Searsport there's a really nice town dock, 'n boat launch,....

Fellow iboater starsnstripers lives a mile or 2 up the hill from the dock,....
Myself, 'n Deb have been out with Scott on his Old Town Atlantis from there,....

In Bucksport, there's a public launch just under the bridge to the island, though it's at the very head-end of the bay, just across the river from Ft. Knox,....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,.... In downtown Searsport there's a really nice town dock, 'n boat launch,....

Fellow iboater starsnstripers lives a mile or 2 up the hill from the dock,....
Myself, 'n Deb have been out with Scott on his Old Town Atlantis from there,....

In Bucksport, there's a public launch just under the bridge to the island, though it's at the very head-end of the bay, just across the river from Ft. Knox,....

Wife and I were up at Bar Harbor and Bangor, sans boat, last weekend and saw the Bucksport ramp. That's what got us thinking. The ramp does not have a dock though, at least we did not see one; that's a problem; I need a ramp with a dock. Know of any?

Do Belfast and/or Camden have public docks suitable for a lunch stop? How's the ride up the river to Bangor? Seems like it would be neat and Bangor seems to have public docks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Donno 'bout Camden, nor Belfast, but the Searsport launch has docks,...

Bangor has docks, 'n a launch,... well actually Hampden I believe,....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks! That Hampden ramp at McLaughlins looks ideal. Only 3, all-highway, hours from my house too.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! That Hampden ramp at McLaughlins looks ideal. Only 3, all-highway, hours from my house too.

Sixteen and a half hours from my house. :(
I was reading an article by boattest.com that said six to ten days to cruise around the bay is best. We're going to have to wait a few more years before we can invest that kind of time, but sounds like two weeks that would be well worth the trip. I'm going to have to put this on my map for the future.
Thanks for making me aware of it!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Sixteen and a half hours from my house. :(
I was reading an article by boattest.com that said six to ten days to cruise around the bay is best. We're going to have to wait a few more years before we can invest that kind of time, but sounds like two weeks that would be well worth the trip. I'm going to have to put this on my map for the future.
Thanks for making me aware of it!

It's close enough to us to warrant a shorter trip to start with; we can go back easily enough if we want to explore more. Planning to go back to 1000 Islands for a week next year, and Champlain again for a few days too, so can't give Penobscot too much time yet.

If you have not done 1000 Islands yet, make a point to do it. Excellent trailer boating destination. We loved staying in Clayton.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Two years later... Finally made it to Penobscot for a 2 day cruise. We launched next to Hamlin's Marina, just south of Bangor. Great ramp with a nice dock and tons of parking. All free too. We made it as far south as Rockland, where we spent the night. We also visited Bucksport, Belfast, Camden and Bangor. Had a fantastic time and will definitely be going back. Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...655.1073741869.1591328395&type=1&l=63f3e47d7b