Anyone from Lake Powell?

LCKKate

Cadet
I'm looking for a recommended route on Lake Powell to venture to. It's going to be very short trip (this time) and I'll only have a runabout for one day. I'm staying close to Wahweap Marina.

Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have been to Wahweap Marina a few times for work on a boat upfit project this year, however never been boating on it bruceb58 boats at lake powell

Almost forgot, welcome aboard

LCKKate

Cadet
How many days? Camping on the lake? What is your range?
I'll only be on the water one day. I know that there is way too much to cover in such a short amount of time so I'm looking for maybe 2-3 good spots to see. I don't want to be driving around all day so I'd like to find a good spot to either beach or tie up for a few hours and soak it all in. But I don't mind a good drive back either. I'm certain that this trip will lure my friends in to plan a big one next year! :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Rock Creek is nice. Problem is you need to go pretty far from Wahweap to get to the best canyons. I am on vacation in Europe so don't have maps in front of me.

LCKKate

Cadet
Rock Creek is nice. Problem is you need to go pretty far from Wahweap to get to the best canyons. I am on vacation in Europe so don't have maps in front of me.
It's OK- I know how to use Google Maps! :) Is it Rock Creek Bay?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes

Google maps doesn't help you much at Lake Powell. Definitely get a real paper map. Stan Jones map is a good one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is almost no cell reception on much of lake Powell. Google maps won't help of your there. You will need a GPS

LCKKate

Cadet
Yes

Google maps doesn't help you much at Lake Powell. Definitely get a real paper map. Stan Jones map is a good one.
No, I just meant right now while I'm still at home and figuring out my tentative plan.

LCKKate

Cadet
There is almost no cell reception on much of lake Powell. Google maps won't help of your there. You will need a GPS
So you mean if someone is trying to get a hold of me I won't be able to answer!?? :) Sounds GREAT!! :) I'm getting a paper map- don't worry. Sounds like there are not many canyons on that side of the lake, which is fine for this trip. I guess my main concern then would be if there are any good places to beach or tie up for part of the day? On that side of the lake.

For future reference- are there other marinas that would be better for renting a houseboat for a large group? We'd be bringing several runabouts to explore. But it sounds like all the good canyons are on the other side of the lake. ?