Anyone been to both Sebago Lake ME and Lake Winnipesaukee NH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I know this is a long shot but has anyone been to both. I am very aware that Lake winnipesaukee is much more developed as far as marinas, restaurants, etc. But besides that Lake Winnipesaukee is bigger, how do they compare? Does Sebago feel bigger because of the few amount of islands? Does Sebago seem more vast?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I have been to both many times. Sebago feels much more vast. Also has a lit fewer boats.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Make no mistake, Winni is a big and confusing lake. It is very easy for beginners to get quite lost there. It just lacks the one big wide open space you get with Sebago, due to the islands.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I hope to get to Winni some time. Looking at the nav charts made me a bit nervous though.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I highly recommend a visit, it's a gorgeous lake with lots to see and do. A chart plotter is a very useful tool for Winnipesaukee. There are large areas out in the middle of bays, that are quite rocky.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I was visiting friends yesterday and had lunch at Captain Jack's by the causeway in Naples. Good food, good drinks, good prices, good atmosphere, good service, and awesome views.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Never been there. Have been to Ricks cafe twice though. Will have to check that place out! We took the bot through the lock to Naples once. It was awesome but pretty long ride to get there.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I highly recommend a visit, it's a gorgeous lake with lots to see and do. A chart plotter is a very useful tool for Winnipesaukee. There are large areas out in the middle of bays, that are quite rocky.

Thanks for the advice, going up there in late July & staying at the Center Harbor Inn. Was debating to get a newer lake chart card for my Garmin plotter which only has coastal charts, but now I think I'll get it!

Rocks in the middle of the lake??? I guess I'll have to keep an eye on depth....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the advice, going up there in late July & staying at the Center Harbor Inn. Was debating to get a newer lake chart card for my Garmin plotter which only has coastal charts, but now I think I'll get it!

Rocks in the middle of the lake??? I guess I'll have to keep an eye on depth....

If you get the Lake Vu Ultra HD chip (that might be the only Garmin option), it will auto-route for you which makes it pretty easy to avoid rocks and that could make it well-worth the 199 bucks. Your depth finder will be almost useless for avoiding them, the rocks and ledges are mostly comprised of ancient volcanic ring dikes and glacial erratics, thus they are often randomly-placed with no gradual reduction in depth surrounding them. The hazards are well-marked, but the NH inland lakes ATON system is different than everywhere else in the world and can be confusing. Have fun, The Center Harbor area is lovely. We used to rent a house evey Summer right around the corner from CH in Blackey Cove and would go grocery shopping in CH by boat since it was easier than taking the car. The grocery store allows you to bring the carts to the town docks and they'll come collect them. Make sure to set aside some extra money for a meal at Canoe, great food.

Status
Not open for further replies.