Lake Powell Experiences?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
So, starting this Friday I have 9 days off...we had planned a week at Horsetooth Res. in Ft Collins, CO. Had sites booked and other families going...over the past week, we are the last family left standing as others had life get in the way (or whatever that means?).

So, we cancelled our spot and decided on a road trip to Lake Powell. We thought about getting a 46' houseboat, but with just my family of 4, it seemed like a lot to spend for 5 days ($3,800). So we reserved a room at the Defiance House at Bullfrog Marina for Sunday-Thursday of this next week.

Having never been to Powell, I am just looking for some input on what are some other better places to travel too? I have 50 gallon tank and I think under moderate speed make it to Wahweap Bay approximately 95 miles via boat (2 miles to the gallon?<---I have no idea if this is realistic as most our boating is in spurts and in smaller inland lakes, so I never run 75% power for 3 hours? I can say I can pull tubes for 3-4 days and some good WOT runs as well and use 30 gallons?) I can run 45-50 (depending on which props I run, F5's or F6's?)..

Anyway, any knowledge would be appreciated?! Fuel stop places along the way?

Thanks,
~brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is another marina between bullfrog and Wahweap. It's called Dangling Rope and is a floating marina. Should be still there unless you know something I don't. Haven't been to Powell in a few years.

I have a lot of favorite spots to camp but with the lake fluctuating, sometimes new spots develop and old spots aren't there anymore.

If you are just doing day trips, Rainbow Bridge is great and lots of slot canyons to hike up if you are into hiking.

Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/Lake-Powell-Canyons-Boating-Exploring/dp/0966525620

Here is a place we camped off a canyon near the mouth of the Escalante:
DSC01035-1.JPG

Last edited:

93_cherokee

Cadet
Lake Powell is absolutely stunning. Last time I was there, I caught 14 catfish in 3 hours. Pretty good if you ask me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
One of the larger boats on lake Powell is a customer. Usually kept at Wahweap

Beautiful out there.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
One of my favorite canyons to hike in is West Canyon. You basically drive your boat as far as it will go and then start hiking. Some places the canyon is narrow and full of water so you have to swim through it until you get to a place you can walk again.

41753971.jpg

41738234.jpg

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
One of my favorite canyons to hike in is West Canyon. You basically drive your boat as far as it will go and then start hiking. Some places the canyon is narrow and full of water so you have to swim through it until you get to a place you can walk again.

41753971.jpg

41738234.jpg

Awesome. I cannot wait. Ever stay at the Defiance House Lodge?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nope...I never stayed in any lodge. Always camped along the lake and always launched at Wahweap.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Nope...I never stayed in any lodge. Always camped along the lake and always launched at Wahweap.

we thought about dragging the camper out to; however, that entails 2 vehicles...we have not tent camped in years and with 2 kids and 3 dogs, might need too much stuff. The lodge and/or houseboat were the only reasonable options...except the houseboat was $3,800!

We will be in the market for a Class C this next off-season, so it eliminates having to bring boat, camper, wife's Yukon, my Yukon...

Wahweap is 95 miles via water @ 30mph that's just over 3 hours of running...most likely too much for one day (there and back). We'll venture out as far as Dangling Rope Marina and explore many canyons. I'm bringing my EU2000i and Traegar smoker/grill for some good ole fashioned picnics in cove. It will be a leisure trip mostly, plan on keeping the kids in the game of water skiing and wakeboarding...most likely mama and I will do some as well!

Thanks Bruce. Your input is great!

Cheers,

!brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I say camp on the lake, I mean camp with the boat along the shore somewhere all by yourself like in the picture I posted on top.

No need to go down all the way to Wahweap. Rock creek canyon is as far south as you need to go. Get's less interesting near Wahweap

Last edited:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Many years ago during this time of year we dry camped in our motorhome with a small group of 3 other families on the sandy point at Lone Rock by Wahweap. We were there for 2 weeks, so we did a 2 day lake excursion to Bullfrog exploring up one side and back on the other. We had met a real estate person in Wahweap who rented a mobile home to us in Halls Crossing to spend the night. That was an excellent experience, and I would definitely do it again. When we got to Dangling Rope they were out of fuel, so be prepared to possibly have to wait until the fuel barge gets there. We only had to wait a little over an hour for the barge, but there were already about 20 boats ahead of us, so it took a while.

There are many canyons and places to explore. I would recommend getting a map with highlights of places to see. Also beware of the monsoon weather this time of year. The wind picks up in the afternoon around 4 and it can get sketchy real quick. Also watch out for the wakes from the big adventure cruise boats. I saw a boat get swamped by one.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been there almost every year since 1982. It is heaven on earth to me.

I have camped, stayed in ​cuddy boats. Both are survivable. A houseboat is great for waking up on the calm glassy water. A great experience
But...to me there is nothing like boating all day, pulling out of the water so that you can get gas on land, instead of $4.50 per gallon at the dock, and staying in the Defiance House hotel.
Take a shower, change out of wet clothes, enjoy air conditioning, and eat dinner in the restaurant.
That eliminates a lot of food planning, worrying about a houseboat coming dislodged, weather, and it is more bug free.

Then, launch in the morning and do it all over again.

The sun is brutal there, and by 5 pm, you have usually had enough for that day.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My favorite time there is late September. Way cooler and less people.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I have been there almost every year since 1982. It is heaven on earth to me.

I have camped, stayed in ​cuddy boats. Both are survivable. A houseboat is great for waking up on the calm glassy water. A great experience
But...to me there is nothing like boating all day, pulling out of the water so that you can get gas on land, instead of $4.50 per gallon at the dock, and staying in the Defiance House hotel.
Take a shower, change out of wet clothes, enjoy air conditioning, and eat dinner in the restaurant.
That eliminates a lot of food planning, worrying about a houseboat coming dislodged, weather, and it is more bug free.

Then, launch in the morning and do it all over again.

The sun is brutal there, and by 5 pm, you have usually had enough for that day.

Thanks leardriver, this is what we kinda thought of...I have some roughing-it camping supplies and could easily manage for one night (or more if I'm honest), but we do so much camping that for all the reasons you posted, was my mindset for this trip.

We originally had a week at Horsetooth Res (Ft Collins, CO) as we love the boat-up campsites...so daily launching/landing is removed from all but the first and last day. The 2 families we were going with had stuff come up...so they cancelled...we entertained still going; however, I gave the wife the option of "wherever" she wanted to go and I merely suggested Powell...she said "book it" a couple of google searches later and google maps consults, I decided on Bullfrog!

Cheers,

~Brett

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Camping is great there, and there are a ton of spots. As the lake water level changes, there are new spots to be discovered.
Camping for a night and then ​going to the hotel for a couple is fun, and saves $150. I thought it would be lame to hotel it, but the good nights rest with AC can really hit the spot. We play hard on skis, tubes, knee boards, and our 50 year old bodies are whipped at the end of the day.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Been to Lake Powell close to 25 times! Love it there. To me, the hiking up the canyons is the most enjoyable yet I have met people that have gone there more than I have and have never done any hiking!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I live in Utah, and Lake Powell, once you get away from the marinas, is one of the most beautiful places you will ever see. You don't need to go all the way to Wahweep. Do get a good lake map, and have it plastic coated. There are so many good canyons to explore, I don't know where to start. Don,t get in a rush and miss everything good. Be careful of hidden rocks just under the surface. Stay away from floating milk jugs, they mark shoals. The channel is well marked with lighted buoys, but try not to be on the lake at night. You can get cell service at some spots but not all. The park service monitors Chanel 16 if you get in trouble. We rent a house in Wahweep when we go. Nice to shower and cook our own meals. Best family activity you will ever have. We launch at antelope piont, less crowded for us. If it rains, don't be a woose and miss the waterfalls. Have a great time. Dave-R

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No need to visit Lake Powell , its a cesspool with nothing exciting to see ........

In all reality , its my favorite lake and actually the only place my boat has ever been wet at . Like mentioned be careful crusing in side canyons , there can be rocks all over the place just under the surface .

I am with Bruce, get away from the marinas and camp in the canyons , thats the only way to go but you must have a toilet

for sightseeing , I reccomend "midlake" thats where it is very cliffy and some of the canyons are just crazy awesome, but that usually equates to serious gas money and a stop at dangling rope.

have fun !

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
We just got back... Amazing!! I'll give an account of our adventures and some pics to follow!!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
We hit the road last Saturday (7/30) and drove for about 5 hours to Grand Junction, CO. Stayed the night at a chain hotel (which was horrible...another story for another time). Woke up on Sunday and finished off the last 4.5 hours of the drive into Bullfrog Bay. We inquired at the hotel for an early check-in, they had no rooms quite ready (11:30am and check-in is at 3:00pm), so we decided to hit the beach and just relax. We found a nice sandy beach where the park service allows loading/unloading of the hose boats. My kids met a few other kids waiting on their houseboat. We chatted with some of the people waiting and they have been coming to Lake Powell consecutively every summer for 32 years. WOW, she gave us some tips and some other good advice.

Around 2:00pm we decided to load-up and head over to the hotel. Check-in was a breeze and stepping into the room we were rewarded with AC, which at this time of the day was nice (98˚F out). We situated the room, unloaded items from car and boat and headed to the launch.

Launched boat around 5:00pm, headed out downstream into the main channel from Bullfrog Bay. Went to Lake Canyon, watched a few guys on jet skis jump off cliffs (50' or so), went to Annies Canyon and found a nice grotto like area were we just sat and floated while the kids played in the water.

Monday we launched and wanted to explore further down river, so we decided to head to Rainbow Bridge, so off we went. The trip was about 50 miles (100 round trip) and it took about 1:30 hours each way (I ran at about 38mph there and about 35mph) We stopped often to refresh and let the dogs use the bathroom (we packed out any solids) on the way back we made a few stops along the way to explore canyons.

Tuesday we launched and headed up stream to Knowles Canyon (while exploring 4-5 canyons along the way. Found a little cove with a sandy beach, beached the baot and hung out for 3-4 hours. Got the kids on the skis and boards and then headed back with the tube in tow....

Wednesday we launched and went to Halls Bay anchored on the East shore for about 2 hours, playing in the water and just relaxing. Did some more exploring the little coves off the bay with the kids in tow, went back down river to Annies Canyon and found refuge from the afternoon sun. Mama and the kids did some rock jumping before we headed back around 6:00pm.

Loaded up yesterday and headed back 9 hours later, we were home.