Michigan boater here in need of some slip rental HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNormV163

Seaman
Stationed in Colorado I bought my first boat and have loved boating ever since. Not tons of choices as to where to keep your boat all summer in CO but I couldn't have been happier with Lake Pueblo. Even renting a slip for a weekend was a breeze. Now I'm out of the Army back home in Michigan and I cannot believe how hard it is to find a marina on an inland lake. Lake St Clair has tons to choose from but I'm just a little guy. I have a 19' Sunbird I/O with a 4.3V6, boat has treated me great but I am tired of trailering every time I want to be on the water. I live in Clarkston (north Oakland County) and there are tons of lakes around me but the internet doesn't have much to offer. I was hoping to be on Cass Lake in Waterford but I can't even get ahold of the marina I want to be a part of and the other looks run down and old. I'm open to any advice or maybe someone could tell me of a great marina I can keep my boat in all summer. I do not mind traveling a little ways to get there either. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo239285.jpg
    photo239285.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
slipping a 19' will get pricey vs trailering it. assume $10-15 per foot per month or more.

you will have to actually drive to the marinas and talk to people, check out the marina for yourself.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure about lakes near me that offer full service marinas with wet slips to rent (the ones I found don't offer prices on the web) but on the Mississippi near me, you'd be looking at $1300-$1800 per year to keep the boat in the water. Many do offer rack storage at $150 or so per month for the size you're looking at which I would even prefer to a wet slip as long as putting it in and taking it back out each time is included. At one point I could be at a marina on the river in 20 minutes from home and I seriously considered rack storage then but I just didn't feel that my boat was really river worthy. I trusted it a lot more on the smaller lake I frequent so I just kept it down there on the trailer in storage a couple of blocks from the ramp.

southkogs

Staff member
Look around Cass Lake. You're gonna' have to look along the shore of the Big Lakes or more "tourist" type lakes.

Thanks for your service.

JNormV163

Seaman
Thanks guys, I did waste a half of a tank of gas driving around Cass Lake and really got no where. I was planning to spend $1800 anyways so price wasn't a big deal as long as it wasn't much more than that. I really think I'm just to early in the season right now, everyone I did get a chance to talk to told me they would give their previous renters a chance before they gave me one. Seems fair, just have to wait a few more weeks and see who bails. Thanks again!

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I lived really close to the state park on Cass for a while and the marinas usually didnt start showing activity until the weather got warm and was going to stay warm. Stopping in to talk to them always worked best for me. Cass is a fun lake, just watch out for the jet skidiots.

Ken Kitchen

Cadet
I sure am glad I don't live in Michigan. Where I keep my boat is on Brookville Lake, Indiana. For $450 a year, I can keep my boat moored to a buoy, with 24 hour shuttle service to and from. There's also a gas dock with pop and ice if needed. Plus, one of the best restaurants in Indiana, Ainsley's is on the waterfront with dock space while you eat. Sorry, just had to brag a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.