Anybody from the Vancouver, b.c. area?

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all....i'm looking for suggestions for a new boater on where are good lakes to go....pretty much all of southern b.c. to the okanogan....

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know im a little late to reply and unsure if you are still active or want to know where to go, but if so (and for those others around the lower mainland), there are a few nice lakes to go. My top three lakes for boating are Pitt Lake, Alouette Lake, and Lake Osoyoos (mostly for the warmer water and good temperature). Pitt Lake is very shallow at the beginning so make sure you follow the markers or else you may hit a submerged tree. Alouette Lake is very beautiful, large, and deep, although it can get pretty choppy at times (along with Pitt Lake).

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks clueless:) i have gone to alouette a few times now..and cultas. Whats the boat launch like at Pitt?....i'm always worried about those submerged trees..i heard there is lots of them there and also at stave...

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I've never been to Stave but I'd like to check it out sometime. Pitt's boat launch is pretty good, there are two launches that are paved (although with a few potholes if I remember) and a kayak/canoe launch that is separate from the boat launches so that they don't get in the way. Launch fee is $10 payable to the guy in the trailer-house thing, and then you're set. As long as you follow the markers on the way out to the other side of the lake, you wont hit anything. Once you get past the last marker, the rest of the lake is very deep and there isn't anything in your way until you get very close to shore (see depth chart pic). The lake is very beautiful and there is a cool little island in the middle of the lake that is fun to explore or camp on. Now I haven't been there when it's windy, but I've heard that the lake can get pretty nasty on a windy day (theres videos on youtube about it, just look it up. It's pretty crazy!). Other than that, the submerged trees can actually make for a good picture if you're willing to pull up next to one and stand on it, like my brother did (see pic). All the lakes will get very busy soon once the weather clears up, and parking at Pitt Lake can be pretty hectic. I think there is special parking for vehicles with trailers near the launch, but I'm not 100% sure. Otherwise people park along the road heading up to the launch, which can line up pretty far.
pitt.gif

Attachments

• photo246769.jpg
    photo246769.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 1

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My new favourite lake now has to be Chilliwack lake. I went up there on Sunday and it was absolutely gorgeous. The boat launch is made for smaller boats (less than 20ft they say) and it doesn't have a dock so you'll have to get wet when launching, but it is amazing and totally worth it. Since the launch doesn't have a dock and the lake is tucked far away in the mountains, not many boaters come here so we were one of the maybe 6 boats on the entire lake. The lake is so big and the water is so clear, its such a wonderful lake. I'm definitely going back soon!
IMG_3512.JPG

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried the Shuswaps ? Very nice, lots of water it can get busy. But with so much water and shoreline you can always find a place to yourself

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never been but looking on maps it looks pretty nice! However I'm in Surrey here and I shouldn't go too far, the lakes around here are pretty nice already, however busy at times. Has anyone been to Chehalis lake? I've searched but just can't seem to find much info on the lake. Are powerboats even allowed on it?

89retta

I drive from Edmonton to Shuswaps and tow my boat. Worth the 7 hour drive. Want to try some different lakes in BC. Would like to try that Chillawack lake you mentioned

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chilliwack lake is definitely one of the best boating lakes here in the lower mainland in my opinion due to the lack of people and the absolute beauty of the landscape. I've never been to Harrison lake but I've heard that's a great place to go with a larger boat to explore the entire lake and maybe head up to the hot springs. Cultus lake is the incredibly popular lake around here, and isn't as amazing as many people make it seem. It's incredibly busy on the water and a very touristy lake, but there are many attractions such as water slides, an amusement park, and many more shops and such. Chilliwack lake is just about a 45 minute drive past Cultus, but well worth it. Pitt lake is fairly busy and difficult to find parking, but the lake is fairly interesting with an island in the middle that is interesting to explore as well. I've never been to Stave lake but I've heard good things about that place too. Alouette lake is a decent lake as well, as it is very long and deep with many little places to explore/camp along the shore of you can find a spot. If you have a larger boat and enjoy fishing, I would definitely head out on the ocean and cruise the gulf islands! Full of beauty and nature, these islands are also home to some great fishing and even better people. Anyways, that's just my take on the lower mainland. However my favourite lake so far has to be Chilliwack lake

89retta

Harrison is a nice lake. But I found the town itself is to touristy and full of urban hippies. Also the hot springs are in town and is located inside a building much like a pool. Love the coast been there many tines have relatives on the sunshine coast.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I live in B.C. below Caledonia. I couldn't help it sorry. Wife is pulling Labour Day money in today and the lake Erie is too rough to fish today.

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Clueless75 hows the fishing in Chilliwack lake?

I've personally never fished it, but I plan on it this coming season! If I recall the lake is quite deep and very cold, so it should have an abundance of species to fish. If you go there soon, let me know how it is!