Navigating very fast water with rocks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Stump - Make your pics a little smaller and attach up to five in a post.

Stumpalump

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Since I'm probably the only power boat in years up here the birds make nests right on the rocks. All animals are rare in the desert so avoiding the nests and flocks on the river goes without saying. In other parts of the world you let the birds get out your way but here you get compelled to get out of theirs because they are so rare. Cliffs are a common site but some made it into photos.

sq2xxv.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
What are you posting from?
Tiny pic. Here is a resize. This is how far I dared to go solo. Enough current that I had to stay on the throttle. The river split with most of it rushing thru dense trees and it looked shallow thru this section. Visibility was only an inch or two and I had my fun. Is this better?

6ej1oi.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
It's easy to get lost in the back country or desert so we tend to name things. The photo above would be the White House. Or these would be the Three Amigos. I have one cactus called happy guy but I'm getting picture heavy.

v5d0k1.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
AZ is a very individual freedom oriented. You can walk on the dam and behind the spillway. Like the trees, it may not be a big deal to most but falling water in the Arizona desert dripping on you is epic!

2jcyq12.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
That's a wrap. Boat is a 1983 Valco Bayrunner with an 84 Johnson 60. I've only got one tractor suspension seat in it but the other is ordered. It's great. You can see the new front wood seats and hatches I just installed. I've had better boats but for the little water we have here It's a keeper.

34qw7mc.jpg
r

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Round two. I brought the wife this trip and we still could not get up the easy fork. It was only a foot deep so we muscled our way thru the limbs.
I knew we could drift back thru the shallow fork because going down stream into those limbs with 10 mph current would be impossible.

2qins6s.jpg

We made it another mile and got into the really fast water. It was a blast playing in the current.

2cxym3s.jpg

I may be crazy but I cheated damage buy running a plastic prop that I found on clearance. It still worked with one out of four blades but only well enough to get us 1/2 mile down stream to a place calm enough to swap props. We had our fun while it lasted.

15naej8.jpg

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Great pics. Thanks for the show. Looks like two great days on the water.

A jet LU would make it much easier.

Neuner

Seaman
Thanks for posting! Looked like a lot of fun. Some of the type of exploring my family and I have been doing on our inflatable up rivers, across bays, lakes and into the ocean.

Tried to find you on Expedition Portal. Are you under the same name? Need to see if they will start an over-water expedition section.

John Bussom

Cadet
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the trip and it looks like you finally got the pic resizing down pat, good job and looking forward to your next adventure!