Georgia Lakes?

atl jack

Recruit
I have lived in Atlanta for 10 years but have not done any boating. I am going to bring my families Cobalt bowrider to Georgia this spring and need suggestions for lakes. I am on the North side of town making Lanier and Allatoona very close but I assume that means they are also crowded. I would prefer a lake with less boat traffic but the closer to Atlanta we are the more we will use it. Right now I might be leaning toward Allatoona because I hear its less crowded than Lanier and its 40 minuted from my house. I know people that like Oconee and Sinclair but that is 2+ hours from my house. I hear Burton and Rabun are beautiful but storage is more expensive. Does anyone make any recommendations?

Additionally I would like suggestions on marinas for boat storage. I would prefer a slip or dry storage with valet service for less than $2k per year (if possible).

eavega

Lieutenant
While you are right, Lake Lanier is crowded on the weekends (and especially on the holidays) it really depends on what you want to do. Even at the height of the summer, I have not had any problem finding a cove to anchor in, or a piece of flat water to ride tubes, skis or boards. Definitely you need to become familiar with the lake, and go north to avoid the big crowds. I've not been to Allatoona for a while, but the difference in traffic was not that dramatic when I was there. Other locations would include Lake Hartwell if you are in the northeast metro, Jackson Lake (shorter drive than Sinclare or Lake Oconee, but much smaller), or Lake Weiss or Lake Wedowee in Alabama if you are on the west side of the Metro. Of those, I would probably be most inclined to Lake Hartwell since it is comparable in size to Lake Lanier. Still, it would take a lot to get me to leave Lanier as it is 30 min from my house to the ramp I like to use, with non-E fuel and multiple places to get supplies along the way. As to storage, I can't recommend the one I use as I keep my boats in the garage or shed.

Good luck

Rgds
E

atl jack

Recruit
How far north do you have to go at Lanier before the traffics starts to thin on the weekends.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
atl jack, I have never fished on Lanier but Sinclair and Oconee are very nice lakes for such activities. But if fishing isn't your forte, then I would look to something I lot closer. I mean water is water if not fishing. JMHO!

atl jack

Recruit
I should have been a little more specific on my lake activities. We are primarily a ski & tubing family and like to find quiet coves to pull up on a beach (or drift) and swim. We fish a little but not much.

eavega

Lieutenant
How far north do you have to go at Lanier before the traffics starts to thin on the weekends.

In my experience, no further south than Browns Bridge (Hwy 369). The further north, the less traffic you find. I will usually put in at Long Hollow Park on the Forsyth County side of the lake, and go north from there. Usually you are good to go just north of there heading towards Little Hall Park. Wander south of the bridge at your own peril, but if you like to hang out with other people, Three Sisters island or Sunset Cove at Lake Lanier Islands is very popular. Both are south of the bridge.

-E

gm280

Supreme Mariner
atl jack, if fishing isn't you main option, then skip any long distance trip to any lake. Most every lake has coves that you can find and use for your type water activities. So pick one closer and enjoy. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

All the lakes within a few hours of Atlanta are crowded pretty good every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day - All of them. In what general area do you live?

Are you going to use the the boat, I mean really use it, like every weekend? That's the only reason to slip or dry store, other wise trailer and get to the ramps early to beat the ramp traffic. Why pay for 12 months of slip or dry storage for only a few outings a year?

Allatoona is a long, skinny, twisty lake., but there are secluded areas where you can anchor and while away the day.

Lanier is much larger, with the same crowd problems as Allatoona. Agree that the further north on the lake it's a little less crowded.

Carters Lake and Blue Ridge Lake are smaller and more to the north. Marinas are very limited at these lakes.

Google marinas on the lakes you might use and call for rates. If you decide to use a marina, do it now before the season or you may be out of luck or pay a premium later in the season. I've heard that Holiday Harbor is one of the more reasonable ones and the only family owned marina on Allatoona. The rest belong to chains.

Good luck on whatever you decide and have fun boating on our lakes.

atl jack

Recruit
I appreciate all the input. I am in East Cobb and am about 30 minutes away from the Allatoona marinas and about 1 hour from the northern parts of Lanier. My boss has a house on Burton and is encouraging me to check out Burton, Rabun, and Blue Ridge for their scenery. But, I think I have decided to be as close to home as possible so that I will use the boat more. For that reason I am choosing to try Allatoona for the 1st year, I am on a wait list for covered dry storage at Holiday Harbor.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
I just want to make a shout out about Lake Oconee.
Most times, the best adjective to use id "abandoned". Even on July 4th, the traffic peaks around 1pm and the early morning fun riders (me) have the place to yourself. Yes, there are conjested areas like the Ritz but its pretty relaxed generally. I mostly concentrate on the area near the dam. Seldom get up to i-20.
If you can tolerate the drive, you ought to check it out some time.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Watch depth and fluctuating levels on Allatoona

I boat on Toona year round and not really a problem except from Nov/Mar. Right now it's down 12'. Usually max winter draw down is 15 feet.

The thing to watch on Allatoona is the white pole reef markers. Right now most of them are in a bed of visible rocks, but as the level comes up the rocks are right beneath the surface, Even at full pool, 840' above sea level, some of the marked reefs are shallow close to the poles. I avoid the poles except when fishing - Good structure around them.

I track the water level on this chart - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/uv...te_no=02393500

and historical data here - http://allatoona.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Allatona is bit dirtier than Lanier if you plan on swimming and tubing. Watch out for police road blocks checking for DUI on the way out of Lanier and keep your eye out for markers indicating underwater rocks on both. They are both good!

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
I appreciate all the input. I am in East Cobb and am about 30 minutes away from the Allatoona marinas and about 1 hour from the northern parts of Lanier. My boss has a house on Burton and is encouraging me to check out Burton, Rabun, and Blue Ridge for their scenery. But, I think I have decided to be as close to home as possible so that I will use the boat more. For that reason I am choosing to try Allatoona for the 1st year, I am on a wait list for covered dry storage at Holiday Harbor.
atl jack - I think you've made a good choice! That's where we've always boated, and we use the boat about the same as you - cruisin', tubing, drifting, etc...
As for Rabun and Burton Lakes, they're nice but fairly small - Rabun is 835 ac and Burton is 2775 ac. See ya around on the Toona!

cbt716

Recruit
Allatoona is probably the way you want to go I have a slip at Allatoona landing marina..its a nice marina, I hear Glad marina is pretty good too. I pay around what your looking at for a 12x30 covered slip from April to September..dry docking will be allot cheaper. I live west Cobb about 30 miles away and believe me the shorter the drive the better I wish i lived closer...but Allatoona is only usually crowded on the holiday weekends. I have a cruiser now but when I had my bowrider I use to just trailer it down to my friends lake house on Lake Jackson (about 70 miles) or go camping at lake West Point lake with friends.