Boating on the great lake of michigan and the bay of green bay

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are planning a special vacation this summer. putting boat in south of green bay and motoring up to rock island, WI to camp and boat the upper end of lake Michigan with friends for 4 days in August. Dinner, fish boils and sight seeing.

Some questions I have.
1. I have a 94 Monetary 230 Deck boat, should I be concerned about this size of boat for this trip?
2. Has anyone done this type of trip and possible give us some tips?
3.Since we will be running boat for about 5 hours strait to get there should we make pit stops so engine is not running constantly? PS I have been boating for 15 yrs or so just never this long of a vacation or running boat that long in one shot.

Any tips would be helpful

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have boated all around the bay of green bay, and especially all around door county.

depending on the day, your boat may be fine, or it may not be big enough. Washington Island is in Deaths Door. the area got its name for a reason. you can go from 2' waves to 10' rollers in less than 15 minutes with a slight shift in wind direction.

I have boated there with all the boats in my signature. had a wonderful time most of the time, and have been caught by wind changes as well and white knuckled it thru the rollers

watch the forecast, keep a marine radio handy.

a few places to see while up in the bay of green bay, and door county by boat:
Chambers Island great little sheltered bay on north end for swimming and anchoring. make sure you have accurate charts for the water. especially the east side of chambers island
Horseshoe Island - you will find dozens of boats anchored in the protected bay
JJ's LaPuerta in Sister Bay (great restaraunt with a margarita problem). dock at the seawall by boatworks (hail boatworks on channel 16 for permission). you can also fuel there
Door County confectionry (egg harbor)
Wilsons Hamburgers (egg harbor)
Washington Island
Rock Island
Menomonee Michigan for Pasties

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scott, Is there a radio channel list for dock or marinas in the door county area?
also never attempted a trip like this before. do the coast side towns all offer docking for a charge or is it free?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
same as everywhere else, they monitor 9

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf

All the docks that I have been to are free, however first come, first served. need permission to dock at private docs, docs at boat ramps are public, however limited on space.

Last edited:

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anything else you can tell me would be great. We are relay looking forward to this trip!!

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anything else you can think of please let us know. We are so looking forward to this vacation!!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Tip the bartender!. I personally would take time to hit door county on land. Then watch the sunset from the bluffs on Ellison Bay. There are many B&Bs. However I have many friends and relatives in the area, so I do not worry about lodging.

I would also suggest a movie at the skyway drive-in in fish creek

In August the cherries are past harvest, and apples are not ready yet. However if you have time, hit up Shartners orchard for a home made pie. If you have the kids with you, stop at PC junction on A and get the hamburgers delivered by model train.

You also have to hit the hallowed grounds of Lambeau Field

I would also recommend seeing the movie Feed the Fish this window with Tony Schaloub that was filmed in DC in the winter