Cruising the Chassahowitzka River to Gulf of Mexico in Florida

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to take a trip to the Chassahowitzka River with my boat. I would depart from the boat ramp at the campground and visit the spring there. I would like to take the river all the way out to the gulf but I'm not sure if this is possible in my boat. I have 14' Bayliner Capri with about an 18" draft. It's a v hull. I was looking at the chart for the gulf surrounding the river and it looks tricky and I can't seem to find a deep enough channel to go through. Has anyone done this in a boat that is not a flat bottom? Any thoughts? Thanks!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I've been on the Homosassa and it can be really shallow. I would think that the Chassahowitzka is similar.

They're both influenced by tide from the Gulf. On the Homosassa it went from 6-8' deep to 1 foot deep very quickly. River and tide currents cause scour holes. Plus, there is a bunch of seagrass there, which can quickly foul props. I was in a 14' Sea Nymph at the time and it was "interesting" to say the least.

When are you planning on making your cruise? I may be able to take my SC Kingfisher over there and check it out for you.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't have a specific date I'm planning on going but probably in the next couple of months. I would like to take my gf to the spring there which is by the campground. If you've never been it's worth the trip. It's an underground cave system you can easily swim through. I know the river is deep enough at that area but it's only a few miles long, if that. Would be nice to be able to do some boating while I'm there and go out into the gulf.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I don't have a specific date I'm planning on going but probably in the next couple of months. I would like to take my gf to the spring there which is by the campground. If you've never been it's worth the trip. It's an underground cave system you can easily swim through. I know the river is deep enough at that area but it's only a few miles long, if that. Would be nice to be able to do some boating while I'm there and go out into the gulf.
Okay, I'll see what I can do. Which campground are thinking of launching from?

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Chassahowitzka River Campground at 8600 W Miss Maggie Dr, Homosassa, FL 34448. Thanks. Just lemme know if you do.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Winds are 10-20mph this weekend so no fishing for us. Will definitely get over there and check it out for ya before you head down this way though.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Winds are 10-20mph this weekend so no fishing for us. Will definitely get over there and check it out for ya before you head down this way though.

Thanks man. I appreciate it!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Checked it out today. If you have an 18" draft on your Bayliner, you'll have major problems in Chassahowitzka. It's less than a foot deep in many places. I actually ran into trouble on the way back upriver with my little 16' Kingfisher which drafts less than a foot.

Banged the skeg a couple times on my 8HP Johnson and dinged up the prop! :eek:

For the first 1/2 mile downriver from the launch ramp there are plenty of deep holes; some as much as 15' deep. But you can go 20 yards and suddenly be in a foot or so of water! Gotta be careful there! :faint2:

After that first stretch it gets flat and shallow and stays that way. Like a foot deep all the way across the river and for at least another 1/2 mile or more downriver. I stopped because it's some 6 miles from the launch ramp to the Gulf proper. I didn't want to chance it myself.

I won't go back there until I get my new motor installed with a jack plate. Have to be able to run in shallow water!

Plenty of shallow draft, flat bottomed boats with jack plates running at speed up and down the river but they were only drafting a few inches of water while on plane.

So now ya know! :joyous:

Launch ramp and parking area
Chaz River1.jpg

Chaz River2.jpg

Chaz River3.jpg

Chaz River4.jpg

Chaz River5.jpg

Chaz River6.jpg

Chaz River7.jpg

Chaz River8.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We caught a bunch of undersized Mangrove Snapper, but no keepers.

Chaz River15.jpg

Spotted a trio of Manatees!
Chaz River16.jpg

Chaz River17.jpg

Knee deep on an Egret... the water is that shallow all the way across the river from this point on.
Chaz River19.jpg

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the very detailed information! I guess I know now that I won't be taking my Bayliner there. Going to just stick with my kayak for that. I might just take the Bayliner up to Kings Bay and Crystal River. Pretty sure that should be deep enough. Glad you had some fun out there even though it was limiting.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the very detailed information! I guess I know now that I won't be taking my Bayliner there. Going to just stick with my kayak for that. I might just take the Bayliner up to Kings Bay and Crystal River. Pretty sure that should be deep enough. Glad you had some fun out there even though it was limiting.
You're welcome!

And if you want to take your Bayliner into the Gulf, I'd suggest just putting in at Bayport. Plenty deep enough there and it has channel markers leading out to the big water. Free too. There are a few picnic pavilions plus a fishing dock near the ramp.

https://public.myfwc.com/le/boatram...lityID=HD00024IJ&Name=Bayport+Park+Boat+Ramp#