Alpha 1 Gen II trim indication wiring question

mhfry1

Recruit
I have a 1992 Wellcraft 197 Eclipse cuddy with a Merc 4.3 and an Alpha 1 gen II out drive. The trim functions normally up and down with no issues. The throttle has a rocker switch for trim up and trim down, and it also has a separate switch to bring the drive all the way up for "trailer" position. The trim system functions normally but i cannot get the indication to work. We did a recent engine change and the indicator worked prior to this. Does anyone have a link to a mercruiser wiring diagram that breaks down the system? Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

tpenfield

Staff member
No changes to the outdrive, only the engine?

It sounds like the trim sender wiring was not reconnected. Usually the wiring routes to the rear of the engine along with the wiring for the limit switch. Since you indicated the drive trim & tilt function normally, I would guess that one of the wires was connected during the engine change and the other was not.

Did you use the same wiring harness for the 'new' engine? As per the image below, look for a brown/white wire and a black wire with male/female connectors. Those should connect tot he sender wires, which are both black.

2011-04-06_205637_scan0004.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To add to the above...Mercruiser outdrives have the trim limit switch and the trim sender on the trim pivot points of the outdrive, under plastic covers. One side is the trim limit switch, the other is the trim indicator sender. The trim indicator sender is a brass pointer rotating on a copper coil of wire, as you trim, creating a variable resistor.