Buying a 1970 Crestliner Trihull with 85hp Merc good deal or not?

I am leaving friday to drive up north to buy a $700 trihull with a 85hp merc guy says it runs good just needs it gone so good idea or no? Also first post just joined from wisconsin

Attachments

• 11787233_875940715774277_390189475_n.jpg
    11787233_875940715774277_390189475_n.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Check the hull real carefully - particularly the transom. That metal plate back there gives me the willies that maybe the transom is weak. There's some really good readin' material HERE before ya' go look at it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Tri hulls of that type are hard riding although they are stable at rest but with an open bow can take on water.....neighbor sank his tying up to a tree in rough water.

Back then wood was used extensively for flat surfaces and stringers. Foam was pumped in under the floor. Both absorb water over time and rot on the wood and get heavy on the flotation.

Personally, even at $700 I'd pass. It could be your worst nightmare unless you have deep pockets, are mechanically inclined, a good carpenter, good with plastics and have lots of time and patience.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm currently vacationing back in WI. I would pass on the trihull for 3 reasons. First, its a 45 year old boat of unknown care, second its a trihull, third, the seller just wants it gone ( usually indicating its been sitting behind his cabin in the elements for 15 years) There are much better boats available for similar money all over for sale. Just take a drive to the north woods and look around

pckeen

Commander
Boats priced at $700 usually have some significant issues, which is why they are priced so low. The threads linked above will give you a good idea of what to look for when you inspect it. If it has significant issues (soft floors, transom etc.), then you really have a restoration project on your hands (figure $2-$4k in parts, plus 200 plus hours in work).

Having said that, you might get lucky, and find that this is in excellent condition....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't waste your gas unless he agrees to $175 over the phone... The hull is trash (that aluminum plate is a crappy bandaid) if you look close the transom and plate are both distorted just sitting there.

It's at best a $300 trailer and a $250 motor with a hull you're gonna have to pay to get rid of...

ttankmoran

Seaman Apprentice
Like others have said, the transom is garbage. That diamond plate is not on there for looks... Yes it does look like the transom is flexing just sitting there which is scary because it appears he is taking weight off the transom by letting the engine sit on the ground.

Do yourself a favor and run. If you do buy it, buy it for the engine (make sure its solid, runs well) and sell it! and scrap the hull.