windshield issues falls in

skinny1965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
boat is a 89 fiberglass bow rider with split windshield (middle piece opens )
this year I have had some issues with it. the middle piece will fall in when hitting rough water. it's really hard to push it back thru to close it properly.
when this first happened I noticed the bottom of the window frame was moving so i remounted it and it seems solid. I'm wondering if I got some of the spacing messed up or something .
anyway looking for ideas suggestions on what to look for or how to stop this from happening

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
The hull might be flexing due to structural issues. The windshield should not move that much. That said, it should have support posts on either side of the opening and they should be adjustable.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
No doubt structural movement beyond what it should. Considering its 26 years old chances are the deck and stringers are rotten, allowing the hull to flex.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Boats are designed to flex some. It sounds like yours is flexing more than anticipated. If you do not see cracks in the fiberglass, I would not do anything else than observe it, as you use it.

You can extend the lip of the moveable windshield component, to stop the falling thru issue! I used a flat piece of aluminum riveted to the window frame.

southkogs

Staff member
If your windshield has the adjustable support struts, check and make sure those aren't broken or loose ... that can jack your windshield around some too.