New or used?

mrasmussen72

Cadet
I currently have a hobie tandem island that I love but my daughter is complaining that she wants to be able to tube with her and her friends. Also, it would be nice to have a slip and just drive up to the marina and go.

So, I'm looking in the popular 18-21' open bow category. There seems to be many used boats in the 6-10k range. I was also looking online, and for 30k you can get an entry level yamaha which looks absolutely amazing. Especially the jet boat/no propeller portion. You can get in VERY shallow water and walk on and off the back of the boat. Really awesome.

My daughter is 11 and I am guessing the tubing and hanging with dad ends around 14-15.

So, do I want to buy a used boat, since I have never owned a boat, and see what I like/don't like and then go newer down the road or would you guys suggest going new and having the warranty and the peace of mind of a boat that won't break down anytime soon?

I would have to finance 15k or so, and I could probably pay that off in a year or two at the most. Of course the 6-10k is a lot easier to swallow, but both are doable.

Lastly, I live in Rochester ny, our season of warm weather is june - early sept. Once its cold, the boats get put away....

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Used vs. New is basically a decision based on two things - money and philosophy. If ya' got enough money, and you prefer nice, shiney new stuff (and some of the benefits that can bring with it) ... New is the way to go. If you're short on funds, or not really that attached to having all new stuff ... used works.

For myself: as much as I like 'em, boats are toys and I can't bring myself to spend much on toys. My needs are pretty simple and used boats suit me just fine, so I've become something of a Cap'n Cheapskate. I would recommend used more because there are so many good ones out there in that $6 - $10k range. You may have to hunt for a little while, but not very long.

Have you considered renting a couple of times just to get a feel for that type of boat and how it will work for what y'all wanna' do?

oldjeep

Admiral
Welcome aboard:

Have you considered renting a couple of times just to get a feel for that type of boat and how it will work for what y'all wanna' do?

I think this is the important point. A lot of folks who have never owned boats get all excited and buy one then find out that boating really wasn't for them - and now they are stuck with an expensive paper weight. Renting might also help you figure out what type of boat/engine you ultimately want.

As for the new/used, depends on too many things to list. My current boat was 2 years old when I bought it, previous one was brand new. Why I did one vs the other each time was a laundry list of reasons. Just beware of the really cheap used boats unless you are happy being a boat mechanic rather than using it when you want.

mrasmussen72

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I have rented a few times, usually very minimal features on rentals and they are a bit beat up. I wish I could rent something a little nicer, but it doesn't seem possible in Rochester.

I definitely do not want to be a boat mechanic, we have a limited season and it is worth more money to not have to deal with being towed in.

I've had friends that have had older open bow 19' boats, I've been on them many times, so I am not completely new to boating. I am just wondering if I should put 15k down, get an awesome yamaha jet boat, or go the 6-10k route for a year or two and see where it takes me.

Almost everyone recommends used because of some of the reasons above, many used boats available and see if I enjoy being the owner and having that responsibility. I believe I will because I am on my hobie every weekend.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would by something used that looks like new because it's hardly been used(you'd have to verify the amount of usage), you can save thousands. Depreciation on new boats is a killer... Let the previous owner take the hit.

Last edited:

mrasmussen72

Cadet
alright, since EVERYONE says used, I am going to start looking for something from 2010 - present. I really like the idea of a jet boat, no propeller and getting close to the beach by backing in. any other boats like yamaha?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I would say slightly used. Go into the 12-15k range and get one that is very lightly used and is in great condition. New boats are great if you have the money to spend. I just can't see spending it if you have to finance it. I always have figured better to buy it out right and get something a bit older or smaller than go new and pay on it every month. I am willing to bet you would rather something almost as nice but be able to go out on it more. Just my 2 cents.

southkogs

Staff member
Personally, I don't see all that many advantages to buying a new boat. Though, I very much appreciate the people who do ... 'cuz that's how I get used ones :)

What you may want to do, is look at some used boats outside of the NY area. Atlanta has a great market for used cars and boats. Sometimes a road trip will get you some extra purchasing power.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I don't see any advantage to a jet boat... Sucking weeds n rocks into the pump... Jetskis are a big enough pita that I wouldn't want a power boat without a propeller.

Btw... Trimming the drives way up gets my 30' cruiser into about 1' of water.

mrasmussen72

Cadet
is that a general consensus on jet powered boats, it may be an issue to inhale weeds and rocks? Are they more of a risk because of that? Should I ask the questions in a new thread?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
This thread is fine... You will find folks who are both strongly for, and strongly against jets... I don't care for em too much tho I own 3 jetskis and a 10' jetboat...

tpenfield

Staff member
I do not know that jet boats are all that efficient . . .

As far as new versus used. New is nice, but there can be some challenges as things don't always work properly on a new boat and then you are in the mode of getting things fixed anyway, although it is a warranty fix, it is still a pain.

That is why some folks prefer a slightly used boat as the 'teething pains' have passed.

On the lower end of the price scale, which is where you are looking, I think new or nearly new is worthwhile. On the higher end of the price scale, the shear amount of depreciation is a killer.

Last edited:

shrew

Lieutenant
The gap isn't nearly as big as most people think. The older and less expensive the boat, the more frequent and expensive the repairs. When you break it down to the total cost divided by 12 months, I think you'll be surprised mow much an older boat actually costs. I've easily put $5,000 per year into my boat over the last 8 years. just over $416/month. Add the costs of the boat and I could have/should have bought a lot newer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
might consider the Finger Lakes for daily rentals. Maybe a little more sheltered for experimenting, if you are on Ontario. Also, there always seems to be a lot of interesting stuff for sale in Ohio around L. Erie -- really anywhere from Buffalo to Toledo.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Jet Boat:
I've had I/Os, OBs, Inboards and jets. My current jetski is a jet. When I'm on it I'm often swimming too so jumping in to clear weeds is no problem. A jet BOAT that may be used in somewhat colder times with no bathing suit on is not acceptable. Plus, docking is not my cup of tea.

OLD / NEW
Here's an example. Bought my first boat (brand new) in 1968. Since then, have bought countless others brand new. No issues, kept them all a long time and sold them for more than I had into them.
1986 - wanted a second boat so bought used. Rebuilt the trailer, motor, lots of work on the boat. EVERY year the trailer had issues that needed fixing on vacation. Wasted time at the hardware stiore when I should have been fishing. Later on the boat had rib issues, leaked, etc. More TIME wasted on repairs.
End of story - replaced the trailer in 2005, the motor in 2007 and the boat in 2009. If i had bought a new package it would have saved money in the long run....PLUS NO HEARTBURN is priceless...

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
I've always bought used, I can't justify the ridiculous price of new especially for something that get 50/100 hours use a year

That said there is no warranty and you have to know what your looking at when you go searching

Oh by the way don't count on your daughter not sticking around after 14/15 years old

That's all up to you, my married daughter is still very much part of the family, her husband a child all love the water and going on pop,s boat

After 18 months away I've just bought a 15 foot ski boat 20 years old, in excellent condition, not a stress crack any where 600 hours use an a 16 year old Johnson original owner re powered from a 70hp to a 90hp

I paid $6000 an equivalent new boat would be $50000 ( this is in Australia our prices will be substantially more than the U.S.)
Heaps of room there for some maintainence

And not a huge investment to swallow, paid cash, so when it's sitting it costs me nothing

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
jets are great for some not so great for others if you want to run in shallow water there great however sand and gravel can leave your jet pump weak or borken meaning low speeds high fuel consumption or flat dead in the water. Props make more speed with less gas if your tubing or skiiing pass on a jet

in the 18 to 21 foot class there are tons of great boats and a lot of boats from the mid 90s inboards are some of the best for the money if you can find one the hull its floor and the trailer are in decent shape and most of these boats have never seen salt water so you can find one with many years left in it.

If I was shopping for 18 to 21 foot all around boat id look for a mercruise alpha or bravo series that hasnt seen salt water 4.3 to 5.7 depending on the boat and what your power needs are and worry less about the boat if its in goood shape.

mrasmussen72

Cadet
Against everything I have heard I went NEW. I bought a new yamaha 192 sx for payments around 235 a month. I expect to pay the boat off in two years tops.

Reasons I went new
~yamaha had great incentive - 2.9% finance and a warranty on the boat
~no worries on a boat that has had some unknown damage

I was looking for a jet boat because I really like the jet boat features, and a used yamaha jetboat isn't that much less that a new boat.

I expect to have a bunch more questions on this site. Thanks for all the input and we;ll see if I think I made the right choice in a few years.....

tpenfield

Staff member
We need folks to buy new boats so that there is an ample supply of used boats in the future. :thumb: :)