Boating with Travel Trailer

Dekker500

Seaman
We have had a travel trailer for a few years now, but I have always wanted a small boat for puttering around the various lakes we visit when camping at provincial parks. But having a travel trailer means I can not tow a boat trailer! The solution is to cartop a boat, but not many people make racks for aluminum boats...

Zb-kaLK_sHqglzW_vPDn5_JgtIjAyf1eJRae_zhYsbY=w1000-h312-no

Tow vehicle has roof capacity of 200 pounds. This 12 foot boat is about 150, rack and paddles make up the rest. Rack is dimensional lumber with supports to distribute the weight evenly. It also allows me to single-handedly load the boat onto and off the roof (though my wife does help if she is around). I simply tip the boat against the side of the car, against the rack, then lift-and-tilt-forward until it is laying across the car, then I shimmy it around until it is facing forwards. Rachet straps on sides, front, and back attach to metal anchors. Paddles get stored under the boat, attached with bungee straps.

EtyEvwdYsFqNpkrJ0nfRUVgLfM7-CBegF8cqDvJHNtA=w597-h398-no

Llk-L4aYW3NrYId3Z27z5RPvGSCrNzFC2ZdukLxt4PI=w597-h398-no

gAwVQ1FyVhDDbHIeA_TXws04aZ8lzuD9Wzgh1aA78TU=w597-h398-no

One problem though is the 2-stroke Mercury I use... My wife objects to traveling with the burnt-oil fumes that the engine emits while in the back of the car. Solution: build an air-tight carrying case! I pad the motor with 3" foam blocks to keep it from rattling around, but since it is just for transportation and not for shipping by FedEx, it doesn't need to be super padded. The odd shape of the box is to accommodate the rear trunk size...

4oYcsKahvBEHcMnLIj49NPTcC442uDq6ZpgLpZOUom0=w597-h398-no

VTiIRb7VyZEZTx-WObuW-tPtJ808jVi0WMWimT_TyDY=w597-h398-no

-20BFGuXrVI884tClaLgUy3s-MsBOGO_ffd6IkXxaf4=w597-h398-no

P-SUrTKlCBg9J3x67nUgd3_-llNWkz45Icb7DvLfgh8=w266-h398-no

Overall, not bad of a setup, and we've used it for a few trips now, and things are pretty good. Just thought I'd share in case someone else is in the same situation, and wants to cartop, but doesn't know how to set things up.

uvEYSkjLlPLQBAIWxqyM2Gm4lm1_fLUaGvBTXLEb02o=w597-h398-no

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Nice set up, looks great and it good you found a way to get on the water.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just curious, doesn't your state allow you to tow a boat too? I suppose the answer is no. I've seen 5th wheels towing boats around here..... I agree, nice setup...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just curious, doesn't your state allow you to tow a boat too? I suppose the answer is no. I've seen 5th wheels towing boats around here..... I agree, nice setup...

That is how we do it around here, But I don't believe I would be allowed to enter Canada with the double tow set up, the OP mentioned Province, so I am suspecting he may be north of the border.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
His setup wouldn't be safe double towing... Not enough camper and tow vehicle to be pulling another trailer behind.... The tail could way the dog...

O/p good job and THX for taking the time to post up.... A thought for ya... If at some point you end up needing your cargo space back you could fabricate a 'transom' on the bumper of the trailer IF it's sturdy enough... Then clamp n lock the outboard on it for travel.

Dekker500

Seaman
WiMusky: Only single trailer allowed in Ontario... at least for cars, vans, SUVs. If I had a truck, pickup, or motorhome, the rules are different (they are classed as commercial vehicles).

SmokeOnTheWater: I did consider a rear-bumper mount, but that'd be an extra 100 lbs at the back of the trailer, reducing the tongue weight considerably - not recommended... I did consider buying/fabricating a storage place above the trailer's tongue, but I'm lacking a welder, and I'm not comfortable blocking in the propane cylinder by placing a rack above it. I'll have to live with it taking up 1/3 of my trunk space for now!

For anyone considering emulating the outboard case, just remember that it's great for transportation, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage... I still remove the motor from the case when I'm at home, and place it vertically on a motor stand, so water can drain, and to allow it to dry out to prevent rust. If you keep it in the box for extended periods, that same air-tightness will trap all the moisture, and increase the likelihood of rust!

Thanks everyone.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
. A thought for ya... If at some point you end up needing your cargo space back you could fabricate a 'transom' on the bumper of the trailer IF it's sturdy enough... Then clamp n lock the outboard on it for travel.

I was thinking the same thing 2 sentences into this thread. The looks you would get with an outboard mounted on a transom on the back of the trailer! The tongue weight probably wouldn't be a problem, trailers like that tend to be tongue heavy anyway when they are loaded for camping. Worst case, just rearrange some of the cargo to the front.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I suppose the boat would ruin the joke but with just the camper and motor I bet someone would walk up n ask if the camper floated... LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No Title

Here ya go, the perfect solution for all out camping and boating, there is swim platform on the back to fish from!

Attachments

• photo226600.jpg
    photo226600.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I watched a show about those on TV a while back... Pretty cool but good grief it'd be a good way to blow through money.

Dekker500

Seaman
Though not obvious, the side with the wheels detaches from the frame, and becomes a dolly for the boat! I can hold the boat from the front and wheel it to the water. I usually don't keep the wheels attached (for aerodynamic reasons) but instead keep them in the engine box.

In truth, I have not needed the dolly much... but since I had the surplus rod for the axle and the wheels from a defunct shipping dolly, why not?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If I recall, The first trailer in a doubles set-up has to be a 5th wheel to be legal,......

64osby

Admiral
Nice job on the car topper set up.

I will haul our canoe on the TV. It is nice to get on the water while camping.

On a possible alternate solution you could mount the boat on one end of the camper and the motor on the other. That would tend to eliminate tongue weight issues.

Dekker500

Seaman
The problem with mounting on the camper is, well, mounting points. Bumper is inadequate, and I don't really want to modify the upper frame of the camper. Also, the boat is longer than the camper is tall... so vertical mounting is not an option.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Very ingenious setup, thanks for sharing, nice bit of engineering and workmanship.