79 Bomber Cobra cooler draining

79bomber

Cadet
My Bomber Cobra has a cooler in the center, beneath the bench center section. It has, what appears to be, a drain hole at the rear that is open all the time and drains from the bilge drain hole. Is my boat's V-hull made for that? I have read other areas where people have drain lines and such. I just don't want to assume without a handbook for the boat. (First boat!)

79bomber

Cadet
It's one of two plastic storage area boxes in the boat. No other storage has them. All others are carpet, except the live well. This is actual plastic boxes screwed in from beneath. I believed it was a cooler, because that was my first thought when I saw it. It still looks like one, but I'm concerned about using it anymore. I will place a plastic box that I own inside that box and keep the bilge dry. Not worth it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Most all hulls have a pump-able bilge area that such things can be dealt with, by havin' a workin' bilge pump,....
All the hull should be able to self-drain to the pump-able bilge,...

Other usually more up-scale hulls plumb such things directly overboard,....

79bomber

Cadet
Bondo, the previous owner told me that the center seat cushion covered the plastic cooler. I wasn't sure, so I used it once and the water runs out of the bilge drain hole. Seems logical, but I can sit a plastic container down into this plastic cooler box and it can still serve as a cooler without wetting the bilge. This bilge doesn't take on but a few drop each time out. Gotta have a built-in cooler, though. Saves room and it worked great.