NTF: looking at cruiser and TV

NWFLCRUISER

Recruit
Hi, everyone, first post. Backstory:

Wife has always loved the water; surfing, boarding, swimming, the beach, you name it (we met in Hawaii), and has always tried to get me into a boat since we met. Being retired Navy, I always agreed with my dad (also retired Navy) that boats are holes in the water you throw huge money into. Rv's were our thing until recently, when we took our 9' sailboat out, along with a Hobie Mirage Outfitter tandem, on the Navarre sound; that changed my mind. It was a lot cooler and we got some good exercise and family time. Considering how much an RV costs, and the limited use we got out of ours, a boat seems more fitting to our lifestyle.

Our current financial situation prevents us from making a purchase yet, which gives us plenty of time to research. I started looking at cruisers in the 26 - 35' range. Our primary use of the boat, initially, will be to get out of the house on weekends, possibly spending the entire weekend onboard, and towing it home. Considering initial costs, depreciation and maintenance/fuel, we will be looking at used; found some in our size range for under $25k with trailer. Minimum amenities would include HVAC, hot water, pressurized water, a separate shower and comfortable sleeping for 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers). I also want a single engine; we don't ski, and would rather cruise and see the sites than get from A to B as fast as possible. Like RV's, there are good and bad; which brands should I avoid, and which should I steer towards? I've seen Chaparral here, and new they are way out of our league, and not until you get over 10 years old do they drop within our price point (at least within 50 miles of my search). Robalo is another. These are just a couple within my limited search that I've liked.

As for the truck, I'm a big fan of HD trucks, having towed heavy for many years. I sold my 3500 Ram recently, so another truck will be in order before boat purchase. Again, like the boat, the new crop is (IMO) ridiculously overpriced, even if they are more luxurious than a lot of luxury cars were 10 years ago; considering that we will be getting wet and sandy, we don't need all that, and an older work truck will work just fine. Looking at either a Super Duty or another Dodge, anything from 05-07 for the Ford, 06-09 Mega for the Dodge.

One question concerns the larger boats; I've seen older 35-37' cruisers for pretty cheap, and they would be great for longer term living once the kids move on. However, none seem to include trailers (most, including private sellers, seem to be at marinas) which is a huge chunk of expense, and seem to be pretty heavy. Is there a reason for this, width and weight, maybe? They all seem to be dual engine, as well, which is another headache and expense.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The biggest boat you can trailer regularly is about 28'

That said there are very few of us who trailer boats that big... They are over 102" wide and require permits in most states.

Bigger than that they often require some disassembly to transport.

Thus bigger boats don't come with trailers because they are generally stored at the marina.

A 14' wide 16' tall (on the trailer) cruiser just isn't a take it home after the weekend kind of boat.

NWFLCRUISER

Recruit
Continuing.

This came about after we pulled back into the boat launch and my wife asked if I was ready for something bigger after all that work to get it back into the trailer after hours of paddling; yes, indeed. Not fun when you're tired. We are currently pulling a 10' utility trailer with a 2001 Lesabre; big enough to fit the boat, but the kayak is another story.

We plan on touring the country in a few years with the kids, but need something after for just the wife and I; we're planning on selling the house and buying a decent sized water access lot to put a large dock on, so we can live on the boat full time, eventually building a cottage or small house. With that in mind, I would be open to the extra expense of over 30', especially if we get a deal on something well maintained and cared for.

roffey

Commander
My first boat was 26 feet and I had to have a second body to help put it on the trailer. It was a pain to organize and get on the trailer. My second boat was 18 feet and I could easily trailer my self. If the feeling hit I could drop it in the water and go for an hour or two. Something to note here is, my wife does not like the water and maybe goes out in the boat once a year. To compromise we bought a cottage with shore front, love it.

NWFLCRUISER

Recruit
We were checking out empty property yesterday (put the sailboat and kayak back in, but at the bay this time), along with all the busted docks (the last hurricane decimated most of them, and a ton haven't been rebuilt), and are planning to buy a waterfront lot sometime before we sell our current home and hit the road.

tpenfield

Staff member
Do lots of brand and boat type shopping the 2 brands that you mention are very different.

Chappy's are fine, Sea Ray, Formula, may be ones to look at as well In order to meet your price range you may be looking at 15 + years old, but that may be fine.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi, everyone, first post. Backstory:
Considering initial costs, depreciation and maintenance/fuel, we will be looking at used; found some in our size range for under $25k with trailer. Minimum amenities would include HVAC, hot water, pressurized water, a separate shower and comfortable sleeping for 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers). I also want a single engine; we don't ski, and would rather cruise and see the sites than get from A to B as fast as possible.

One question concerns the larger boats; I've seen older 35-37' cruisers for pretty cheap, and they would be great for longer term living once the kids move on. However, none seem to include trailers (most, including private sellers, seem to be at marinas) which is a huge chunk of expense, and seem to be pretty heavy. Is there a reason for this, width and weight, maybe? They all seem to be dual engine, as well, which is another headache and expense.

You aren't asking for much :joyous:

Okay. As smoke noted, you can't trailer anything over about 28' on a regular basis, and even that will be a royal PITA to get on and off a trailer. These boats are HEAVY. My 1997, 27' Four Winns 278 Vista wieghed in dry at 7500 lbs., and 1000 lbs more with fuel, water and all the gear aboard. The Carver in my sig. is 1000 lbs. heaver than the FW. Both these boats have twin engines. Doubtful you'll find a boat any larger than that with a single engine, either. Width and height have to be considered, too. Both the boats I mentioned have a 9.5' beam (trailering permit required), and my Carver's bridge clearance is 9' (with the bimini frame and masthead light taken down), plus the height of whatever trailer it'll be sitting on. I hire a transporter twice a year to take it to and from my driveway.

If you can accept that your starting point is well under 30', you can forget the separate shower. You'll get a stand up head that you can clean up in. Depending on where you live, air conditioning may or may not be a popular option on whatever used boats you look at. My Vista had it, the Carver didn't. I installed it myself with a month's work at a cost of about $3500. Figure $5K to have a yard do it for you.

You need to start some serious window shopping. You're biting off a lot for a boat that'll be your first.

My .02

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Sounds like you want a fun boat + living quarters... Buy a small runabout and tow that with something that is designed for living quarters, aka, an RV. Your requirements put you into a fairly large class of boat, and some serious yearly expenses in both $$$ and time. (you mention how much the RV costs, RV expenses are minor in comparison to boating, especially a big boat! RV's are also nearly eco hybrids when you compare the MPG's of a 30 some footer with twin engines!

Last edited: