Buying a boat, hull question?

Fxportapot

Cadet
I'm looking to buy a used bowrider for my family. I'm very mechanically and DIY capable, we're in the 6k-8k budget. I found a 2000 Bayliner 1950 Capri on good ol' craigslist, priced a little bit high, my hesitation is wear on the hull, is this normal wear and tear on a 15 year old boat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

I don't think so. The gelcoat is worn off the keel from I assume, beaching. And not a little bit judging by your pic.

Fxportapot

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to being an active member of this community. Messing with gel coat is definitely not something I want to dive into!!

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my opinion if someone does that much damage beaching a boat they don't either know how to care for a boat or they just don't care. I would not buy a boat in that condition. Who knows what else they never took care of on it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, no way, no how, there was a very popular song many years ago, that describe you next action, "These Boots Were Made for Walking"

Crap, now I am dating myself!

:lol:

Edit"

"Mechanically inclined and DIY capable" does not mean Dumb!, there are millions of nice get in the water boats out there, I would go a bit further in my search.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Read the rules. MT. Nancy Sinatra songs are not allowed. :laugh: Holey moley, she's 75 now. :eek:

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
She only did 3 things note worthy anyway. Sang ,Some Velvet Morning, These Boots Were Made for Walking and the other we shalt not mention!
But even at that DANG she had a nice set of prop nuts on her back then:cheerful:

roffey

Commander
You guys are running away with this thread, LOL. I always like the song Bang Bang, and she was a good liking woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xl0Qry-hA

getting back on track. I take my boat to a beach all the time. I guarantee it never touches the sand, that's what the anchor is for. Not sure what they want for the boat but even here in Canada where boats are more $$ you can get a real nice 18 foot BR or 6-8K

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Yes - We've had a slight diversion away from the topic. Our old minds wander at times. Sorry, Fx.

As one of the earlier posters said, the seller didn't seem to treat the boat with care. The gelcoat should have been fixed a long time ago. We're making a judgement cal based on only one photo. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks and members here can guide you through gelcoat repair if you do decide to pick her up..

Fxportapot

Cadet
Thanks everyone! Yeah it's pretty bad, not sure what happened, but obviously neglected. If it was WAY less expensive I might consider it, but not for $6500!

Fxportapot

Cadet
And watching Jessica Simpson doing "boots were made for walking" is my favorite rendition, so long as the volume on the tv is all the way down!!

GA_Boater

Thanks everyone! Yeah it's pretty bad, not sure what happened, but obviously neglected. If it was WAY less expensive I might consider it, but not for $6500!

That's probably the best decision. Hope you can find the right one. Keep looking and good luck.

And watching Jessica Simpson doing "boots were made for walking" is my favorite rendition, so long as the volume on the tv is all the way down!!

It looks like topic meandering is contagious. LOL

Fxportapot

Cadet
Wow. Checked out another bowrider today. This was worse then the first. The search continues. Too bad cause everything else on the was great.