Bought a boat..Need new title

wade0731

Recruit
I live in Missouri. I just bought a boat in illinois a little over 2 weeks ago. Took the title to the place to get it titled and get my stickers, they said because I had scratched something out on the title in ink, they can't use the title. I simply wrote something wrong and scribbled it out. They said I need to get the owner to get a new title. The problem is, the person who sold it to me, never titled it in his name. What are my options? I have a bill of sale, I can title the motor with that because Illinois doesn't title outboard motors and I just titled the trailer, no problem. Just the boat is left to title. Will I be able to get a title renewal in my name somehow? I can get a temporary permit for the boat..will I be able to use it on the water and not get fined if pulled over?

tpenfield

Staff member
Let me see if I understand this correctly . . .

The person who sold you the boat is not the person who's name appears on the title? Presumably it is the previous owner before the guy that sold the boat to you? :noidea:

The ink scratch-out might be the least of your problems. You would need the title signed over by the person listed on the title (right?) If I were me, I would have not bought the boat with an improper title in the first place.

You could possibly back track to the person that sold it to you and hopefully he can get in touch with the person who actually has title to the boat . . . then take from there.

wade0731

Recruit
Yes, the person was going to title it in his name but never did. So the owner before him, his name is on the title currently. It wouldn't be a big deal if I had not scratched something out, the title would have been just transferred to me. Instead, I now need a new one.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well it's sort of a big deal since the guy you bought it from defrauded the govt of tax money and didnt have the legal right to sell it to you with a title.

You need to track down the LEGAL owner of the boat who is listed on the title and see what it takes to get him to sell it to you legally.

He probably doesn't have to get a new title... Most states have a form for title filled out in error... Technically by law the correct procedure is for him to transfer it to the guy you bought it from, that guy pays his sales tax and titles it, and then he sells it to you....

Should you choose to shortcut that and skip the middle man that's on you... Technically it's fraud.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
You have a valid title with a name and address. Track that person down and see if they will apply for a duplicate title, You pay the expenses. That is basically the way it is done in Illinois when there is no title. Except in that case 1st one has to apply to the state for a lost title and pay them the fees to obtain the info for the previous owner and then there is a whole second set of procedures to follow. All of which isn't too costly but it is very time consuming.

oldjeep

Admiral
Or just go back to a different registration office and try again with a different person.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The state of Illinois DNR web site has a downloadable form that gives the state of Ill power of attorney to represent you in obtaining the title from the last known legal owner.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Good lesson here, all titles that I have had in my possession over the years from many different states, specifically state that erasures or alterations will void the title.

Here were I live, not transferring a title is not fraud, it gets done here all the time. I buy and sell stuff all the time, much of it is only in my possession for a couple of weeks, as long as it is signed off and notarized they don't care. My state specifically states, who ever possesses that signed and notarized title is the legal owner of that titled property.

Now that said, we are a bit unique here, you license your boat for as long as you own it, as well as your trailer, for a boat under 16 feet it covers the boat for as long as I own it, never have to pay another fee on it and we don't have sales tax.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Or just go back to a different registration office and try again with a different person.
That is what I would do. There was an office that was closest to me that I would not go to because of the crap they wanted for everything. I would drive 30 minutes 1 way to get to an office that would always work with me.