inflatable or cuddy cabin for a family of four?

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to buy a small boat for my family. I am looking into an inflatable (Avon, Novurania, Achilles, AB) up to 16-18 feet long or a 20 feet cuddy cabin.

Which one would you recommend? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have no experience with inflatables. Only thing I know I read recently on the Ballistic RIB. A cuddy is nice to get in out of the weather and if you want to stay dry in rough water.....course the Ballistic looked like it took rough water just fine. Cuddy's can be hot in the summer when there is no air circulating but warm in winter blocking the wind. Got to be careful that they don't get loaded up with junk like a lot of garages. If you need a place for the potty and some privacy that's the cuddy. The older you get the more you will enjoy this feature.

HTH,
Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Really this is gonna depend on what you wanna do...

One has limited cockpit space and a minimal sheltered area.... Not great for any use but versatile and fair for a lot of uses...

The other is open with seating all around but not comfortable.... Generally best when the boat selection is secondary.. IE diving, transportation to a bigger boat, etc.

This question is about like asking us if you should buy mayonnaise or hot sauce without telling us what you're cooking.

Instead how about you tell us how you envision you day on the water (details) and we help you match up with a boat that fits.

Also what is your experience level.

Last edited:

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with smokeonthewater. It's like comparing apples and watermelons.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With family? Cuddy, no question. My friend has an inflatable. Little room, low freeboard, no protection from breeze under way. It is easy on gas.

pckeen

Commander
That's two totally different boats, for two totally different purposes.

I suggest you sart at a different point: what do you want to do with the boat, what is your budget, and what waters will you be going on? Post some answers to this, and you'll get some suggestions of the type of boat you should be looking for?

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks so much for all the answers!!!

I would like to use the boat not too far from shore (max 3-4 miles) around Miami, Fort Lauderdale. Usage: snorkeling with my two kids, spearfishing, crusing around and taking out some of my friends.

I like the fact that the inflatable may fit into my garage (up to 16ft - up 10 18.5ft including trailer).

Thanks o much for helping me out!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have no experience with inflatables, but 3-4 miles out in an inflatable boat? Idk...sounds dangerous. But I'm a lake guy...what do I know?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I recently owned a 2000 Bayliner 1802 Capri Cuddy, with a 90Hp Merc.....Perfect for what you want to do. It had a porta potti in the cuddy. I bought it new with all the options...It was a great boat...sold it in April for $3800, because it just sat in the garage. A family of 4 purchased it and are still thrilled to have it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Congrats.... Sign up at wellcraftv20.com.... The V18's V20's and V21's have a cult following.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I got a Wellcraft 180 Sportsman. Thanks for all the input!
Wise choice. Especially in the summer time when squalls wreak havoc for a few minutes. Catch you out and unprotected. BTDT

On that boat, if you got the canvas extra, especially custom top and curtains, you have a place to get in out of the weather, and the sun when there aren't any squalls. Button her up, head into the wind, turn on the bilge pump and ride her out. I had an 18 Caravelle bow rider rigged out like that and 4 kids. Great layout for various water sports and safety. Not too big to handle off the water also.

Last edited: