Remaining life of an Avon 490 DL inflatable

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
How many years can someone get out of a 2002 Avon 490 DL inflatable?
It is in good condition. I would use it as a family boat and keep it in my garage....

Thanks so much!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Eh my mid 80's 12' sevylor (zodiac) is still in overall good shape tho the transom is getting a little weak and the plywood floor is close to needing replaced.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Generally speaking decades, but holy smokes man, as you were advised in response to your other post give us some useful info if you expect anything resembling a useful answer. Welcome aboard.

shrew

Lieutenant
It depends on how much sun exposure its had. Inflatables are either made of PVC or Hypalon. The most common, by far, being PVC. PVC WILL breakdown in UV over time. The evidence is delamination. The first thing to go are the pieces which are glued on (oar locks, life line attachments, tow eyes). Then things like the floor and seams start to go.

If the PVC is heavily discolored it has had a lot of UV exposure. This is why the manufacturers only warranty them for 5 years. I've gotten 15 years out of one with regular use. I deflate it, roll it up and store it in the cabin during the week and only use it on the weekends. Those that sit in davits all season, or the deck of the boat tend to not fair as well.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Wouldn't swear to it but I'm pretty sure all Avons are Hypalon.

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
Generally speaking decades, but holy smokes man, as you were advised in response to your other post give us some useful info if you expect anything resembling a useful answer. Welcome aboard.

I would like to use the boat not too far from shore (max 3-4 miles) around Miami, Fort Lauderdale. Usage: snorkeling with my two kids, spearfishing, crusing around and taking out some of my friends.

I am sure the inflatable is hypalon. I plan to store it in my garage.