Need Some Basic Hour Meter Recs

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'm supposed to be getting my powerhead back from the machine shop Monday and can start rebuilding it. My boat never had an hour meter and I would like to get one to help me keep track of the break in as well as track the total hours on the rebuild. Most of the simple digital ones on Amazon run $10-20 and all only come with only a 4' long cable which isn't long enough to reach the console. Any recommendations on some affordable ones and can I splice on more wire to get the length I need? If so what kind of wire would work? From the pictures it looks like the wiring is similar to RF antenna cable.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
An hour meter is just 2 wires..negative and positive. You can add any length wires you want.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks and great to hear. I guess I will just find what looks like the best bang for the buck and wire it to fit my boat.

I'm soooooo ready to get this thing running again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You want +12 volts only when the key is in the RUN position. That also means the meter will register hours even if the engine isn't running but the key is on.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
4 feet of wire should be plenty. Just a ground and a hot lead to a buss bar that turns on with the key.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You don't connect it to the motor, you connect it to the ign switch or and circuit switched by the ignition.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was actually looking at the inductive ones where they wrap around a spark plug wire.
You mean the kind that they use on lawnmowers? Why not just get the kind that attaches to the ignition switch?

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
You mean the kind that they use on lawnmowers? Why not just get the kind that attaches to the ignition switch?

Price primarily. They run $10-20. From what I saw the others that were built like true console gauges which I imagine were ignition switch controlled were $40+.