1999 Glastron GS 249 What to offer?

Jamjmack

Cadet
I am looking at a 1999 GS-249 that has 78 hours. The boat has not been in the water in 5 years.There is a current survey that caught a lot of little things but nothing major. The boat has a Volvo 5.7GS. The gel coat is in bad shape. The current owner painted the gel coat right below the rub rail. The bow port hole is leaking and caused some damage to the headliner. Here is a lit of things that need attention (it long!)
-bent prop shaft
-gel coat in horrible shape
-bow port hole leak
-steering cable tight
-fridge not working
-some light issues
-New impeller
-Head is broke but tanks and water lines OK
-bellow needs repacement
-new belts,hoses,plugs,tune up
-trailer needs tires, brake work, and new bearings
-new batteries

I'm not scared of the work but seller has no intention of making the boat seaworthy for testing. I was wondering if anyone could throw some numbers at me what a fair offer is. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The owner should throw you $500 to haul his junk away. Has he mentioned a number? Got any photos?

Jamjmack

Cadet
Thanks! He is looking for 8000. I was thinking 1/2 that or less. The survey shows the hull is OK IMG_3899-1.JPG IMG_3898-1.JPG

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
If that boat was fixed up $8K might be a good place to start. Of all the problems on that list the bent prop shaft could get really expensive.

-bent prop shaft ??
-gel coat in horrible shape Detail $1000
-bow port hole leak New porthole $300
-steering cable tight New steering $500
-fridge not working New Fridge $800
-some light issues $100
-New impeller $300
-Head is broke but tanks and water lines OK New head $300
-bellow needs repacement $100
-new belts,hoses,plugs,tune up $800
-trailer needs tires, brake work, and new bearings 4 tires, brakes,bearings $1000
-new batteries $200

Just guesses but I know I'm not that far off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I see the survey says the motor needs belts, hoses, plugs and a tune up, but does the motor even run?

Jamjmack

Cadet
I really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. I don't want to feel like I'm low balling him but on the other hand I don't want to end up sinking more money into the boat than its worth!

Jamjmack

Cadet
Does anyone feel I would offend the seller with an offer of 3 -4,000? I feel it's fair considering he doesn't want to do any work to the boat and it's not seaworthy.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone feel I would offend the seller with an offer of 3 -4,000? I feel it's fair considering he doesn't want to do any work to the boat and it's not seaworthy.

I wouldn't worry about offending him at all. The boat needs a lot and is in a junk state. You'll put another 4 or 5 grand into it, minimum, plus your time (you need to really hope that drive is good). As someone else said, he should about be paying you to take it.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Prices are regional but that boat would sell in the low teens at the beginning of the summer in Minnesota. I'm assuming that guy thinks it's worth 10-12 so he's discounting 2-4k for the repairs.

$3k will probably tick him off, 4k...maybe, are you going to be heart broken if he says - no and don't call me again.

Bent prop shaft sounds major to me, not minor. Maybe it drives fine with no vibration and the surveyor is considering it minor, IDK I'm just guessing. I would go in to the purchase assuming the worst and hoping for the best. Good luck and Let us know how it goes!

southkogs

Staff member
I suggest thinking of it in terms of what kind of risk you're willing to take ... In other words, you know of some thing that are wrong. The boat has been ridden hard and put up wet, and it shows it. And there are likely some things wrong that you cannot see. The boat is an unknown ... and it's hard to tell what the value really is. That's mostly the seller's fault because he wants to sell off his problems.

Since the boat is an unknown, how much are you willing to risk on your ability to make it a boat you enjoy using? <== That's the price you should offer him, no matter if it's offensive to him or not. If it is offensive to the seller, understand that and walk away kindly.

Jamjmack

Cadet
I really appreciate all the help!! I looked at it again today. After really thinking about the amount of risk I want to take on I'm going to offer 3000. Would it be smart for me to list all the repairs and estimated costs so he can realize where I'm coming from?

southkogs

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about listing all the detail. You'll start dickering over nickels.

"It's broke, and I'm not sure of all of what I'll have to fix. I'm willing to risk _________ on the boat."

If he says no, move on. But check the listing for a few weeks and see if it's still sitting there :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't put much into it... He's gonna laugh in your face and tell you to leave... His price is one he'll easily get from someone else...

Just keep shopping.

pckeen

Commander
Hate to say it, but run away from that one. Who knows what you are going to find when you start digging into the bent prop shaft. For a 78 hour boat, that's not been well cared for.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
It should be. Pass on the Glastron, and move on to something else. The headaches you will get, will not be eased by a low purchase price.