93 Skeeter ZX175 dual steering cables

SkeeterSkip

Recruit
I have a 93 Skeeter with a Merc 175 i just purchased, anyhow it needs some work and some TLC and i have a couple of questions to ask.

1. I need to replace the steering cables (2), this is a rotary design, i already have removed the shafts out of the steering tubes and i need to remove them out of the helm rotary device, I have found the pin to remove and the button to depress, i also guess i need to turn the wheel to remove both cables.

The question i have to ask is about the reinstallation of the cables, do I need to feed both cables at the same time of is there a was to do it one at a time?

My 2nd question is this boat needs new batteries, from what i understand is that one battery is for the trolling and the other two is for the outboard motor(I am new to boat ownership), do the batterys have to be the same, I was thinking of getting one battery (trolling motor) the gel type and do I need to get twin batteries for the other two.

Thanks,

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes insert both cables at the same time... I would strongly consider replacing the helm as well... Look into a NFB system... Awesome to have.

Two batts are for the trolling motor and they need to be matching deep cycle batts... One batt is for the outboard and it should be a normal starting battery that doesn't need to match the trolling batts in any way.

SkeeterSkip

Recruit
Thanks Kevin or is it Admiral, being ex navy i feel like i should salute. Back on the batterys, the Optima battery is expensive, is it worth the money for use on trolling motors or just a waste of money?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No prob...
Eh that's gonna be a judgement call for you....
My .02, I run an optima in my jeep that gets beat HARD offroad... I run regular batteries in everything else.

Last edited: