Proper backing technique...

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SigSaur,

A while back, you used some acronyms of which I don't understand.

Here is a link to the original post: http://forums.iboats.com/node/9986684

>GOAL
>EUNO
>TTDO
>K
>AND ALWAYS BACK to the sight side, NEVER to the passenger (or Blind Side).

Could you please elaborate on your acronyms? And please expand on your last statement?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
GOAL - Get Out And Look not sure of the others

Sight side(drivers side) backing is easier because you can see by looking out the window vs blind siding(passenger side) where you only have the mirror to see.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The way I learned to back up, is really quite easy, you have to think backwards, instead of having your hand on the top of the steering wheel, put your hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel and which ever way you turn your steering wheel from the 6 o'clock position is the way the trailer is going to go. Now make sure you have mirrors in which you can see the boat and you will be surprised at how easy it gets.

That said, I will be interested to see what those acronyms mean as well.

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The way I learned to back up, is really quite easy, you have to think backwards, instead of having your hand on the top of the steering wheel, put your hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel and which ever way you turn your steering wheel from the 6 o'clock position is the way the trailer is going to go. Now make sure you have mirrors in which you can see the boat and you will be surprised at how easy it gets.

That said, I will be interested to see what those acronyms mean as well.

Wow MT, thats a handy little trick. I wish I knew that when I was first learning.

shrew

Lieutenant
GOAL = Get Out And Look
EUNO: Technically "UOENO" = You Don't Even Know
TTDO = Take The Day Off
K = OK

AND ALWAYS BACK to the sight side, NEVER to the passenger (or Blind Side).

Use the drivers side mirror and align yourself using the drivers side of the trailer and tow vehicle. Checking the passenger side is fine, but much harder to back up using the passenger side mirror, since the drivers side is on the other side of everything.

bassman284

Commander
About 40 years ago I was taught to back trailers when I started driving semis. At first, I was terrible, backing in big arcs and chasing the trailer all over the place. Fortunately another driver watched me one day and gave me some info.

First thing he told me was, quit driving that tractor all over the place (actually he said bleep bleep place). When you're backing a trailer, you're not driving the tractor anymore, you're driving the left rear wheel on that trailer. Put it where you want it and everything else will follow.

Number 2, don't fight it when you get out of shape. Stop, pull forward, straighten out and try again. Might hurt your pride a little, but it will be a lot quicker and easier in the end.

That ended up being all I really needed to get started along with watching him do it once. Over time I learned more about how trailers responded and refined my technique so as to get into some pretty tight spots, which was good since most of the time you're not going to get a straight shot into the slot you want.

A good example is my condo. I back my boat into my garage and even if the parking area across from me is empty, I have to start at about a 45? angle to my drive. Usually there are cars there so I start at maybe a 15? angle. I generally have to pull ahead a little once or twice on the 15? shot.

If the hand on the bottom of the wheel helps you, go for it. I tried that once but found it confusing.

roffey

Commander
I worked for a farmer for years, backing up a trailer was easy compared to a wagon with a yoke, still can't do that on one or a dozen trys. We would have a truck with a set of trains (trailer with a trailer). Watching the driver back the set of trains up a 1/4 mile lane way up to and under the grain elevator was a work of art.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Where I keep my boat is under a carport. There is a tree that made backing in frustrating. I solved the problem by installing a hitch on the front of my Tahoe. I can now put that trailer wherever I want it on the first shot each time.

I thought that you were going to say that the tree is no longer there!

TTDO is "Taking The Day Off" in other worlds but probably not the intent here. I'm going to make up my own explanations for his acronyms:

GOAL = Goat Olives Are Lovely
EUNO = Evinrude Underwater, No Outboard
TTDO = Tough Toenails Die Occasionally
K = Don't Back Into The Dock

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
When I back up I always pick the blind side. It is easier for me to use the mirror on the passenger side. Like MT I look backwards. If I look forward I get it screwed up. Depending on the vehicle it may help to open the rear hatch or tailgate. I open up the back on my Yukon for both visibility and communication with anyone spotting me.

oldjeep

Admiral
There are likely 3 mirrors on your tow vehicle - use them. If you can't see everything you need to see using those 3 mirrors then they likely need to be adjusted. The exception to this rule is itty bitty trailers that don't show up in the side mirrors until it is too late.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I back up I always pick the blind side. It is easier for me to use the mirror on the passenger side. Like MT I look backwards. If I look forward I get it screwed up. Depending on the vehicle it may help to open the rear hatch or tailgate. I open up the back on my Yukon for both visibility and communication with anyone spotting me.

Actually after all of the years I have been doing it, I normally just place my hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel, then watch things in the mirrors, I might take a quick glance over my shoulder but not much anymore.

thumpar

Admiral
Actually after all of the years I have been doing it, I normally just place my hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel, then watch things in the mirrors, I might take a quick glance over my shoulder but not much anymore.
I still have to look back to get the steering correct. If I don't I steer in the wrong direction. It is not that I can't backup it is just they way I have always done it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I still have to look back to get the steering correct. If I don't I steer in the wrong direction. It is not that I can't backup it is just they way I have always done it.

That is why, I place my hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel, the trailer will turn which ever way you turn that wheel, with your hand at 6, turn your hand right, the trailer goes right, turn your hand left, that trailer goes left. I also use a 3 point system between my 3 mirrors and have my mirrors set so I know I can see down the sides of the trailer. With your hands at the top of the wheel, the trailer goes the opposite of what your hand does.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I back up using only the mirrors.

If the trailer is moving out from behind the truck in the drivers side mirror, turn the steering wheel toward the mirror to correct the movement.

Same if the trailer is moving to the right, becoming more visible in the passenger side mirror, turn the steering wheel to the right to correct.

If you can correct a wandering trailer to make it go straight, you will soon be able to make it go where you want.

Another trick it to get the trailer tire lined up with a paint line or seam in the concrete, then just use minor corrections to keep the tire on the line.

Thats why they put those lines in the loading docks for the big rigs to use.

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lots of interesting points of view people have expressed.

One of the problems is that, I think, most of the time, people are given a trailer to back and just told to put their hand on the bottom of the wheel and the trailer will move in the direction their hand moves. And that is all well and good, but their is so much more to it.

A few thoughts for the new to trailer backing driver.:

Windows:
Roll down the windows, so you can hear what is going on, like someone yelling at you to stop, or the crunch of an object, car, tree, etc. that is in the way.

Pilot Induced Oscillation:
This is a concept from the world of helicopters, R/C in my case.
As the trailer goes off course, the drive applies an increasing series of corrections in opposite directions, trying to correct the trailer's direction to the previous input and applying an over correction in the opposite direction.

Stop:
When the trailer is not going where you want. Stop. This gives you time to think. This takes the pressure off. You're not moving,

Turning the trailer:
It's not just one movement of turning the trailer, it is really composed of several steps.
Turn the wheel to get the trailer turning.turn started.

1: Just as the trailer lines up with the ramp, garage, etc., move the wheel back. Not all the way, just enough to stop the trailer from continuing to turn.
2: The trailer is moving straight back, truck still turning, coming into line following the trailer.
3: Once the truck is straight, turn the wheel back some more.
4: Trailer, truck, and wheels straight.

Bottom line, consider everything that you are told, and use what works best for you.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
My father was cruel but I apreciate it we had alawn tractor and yard trailer used the trailer all the time and my dad would force me and my brother to back up all the time we learned after jackknifing how to back up real good took a lot of practice but I'm in the process of teaching my gf how to back a trailer using parking lines in empty parking lots I also can back up blind side as well as drivers side no problem and I only use my mirrors when I start getting frustrated I stop and calm myself