Water in my gas tank

Roscoe_Floyd

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to everyone ahead of time. Needless to say I have water in my fuel tanks. I was wondering if there's a bottle or can of stuff I can buy to get rid of the water? I know I can drain the tank. I was just wondering if there was something I could buy. Maybe the question has been answered in the past so just point me to the topic I can read.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
All of the water and alcohol that separate from the gasoline will be on the bottom of the tank., Tilt the boat to make that bad stuff run to the lowest point. Siphon out 10 Gal and let her settle. Now siphon out 1 G from the first tank into a clear container and save the gas and dump the water/alcohol. A bit of 2 cycle oil will color the gas. The water/alcohol will not mix with the oil, so you can see it.

21BaylinerCC

Seaman Apprentice
Had the same problem with my built in tank. Siphoned as much of the gas out as I could, used rags to soak up the remaining, installed a fuel water separator, mixed new gas with Sta-Bil Marine and Quickleen. and she runs fine!

UncleWillie

Captain
How Much Water is in How Big of a tank?

Is the tank Full or almost empty?
How much gas are we talking about?

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pick up some K100. This stuff is amazing! It makes water burn

Roscoe_Floyd

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all, yes it's about 80/20 gas/water. What a great website and forum. Again thank you,thank you, thank you. I'm going to try the K100 and I have sta-bill

gm280

Supreme Mariner
How do you honestly know there is water? Can you actually see it at the bottom? If so, try to siphon the water in that area and let it sit again and see if it settles again. Do that a few times and then use some quality additive to help blend the water into the remaining gas. There is no additive that converts water into fuel. If there was, we wouldn't need any more imported crude oil anymore... All the additives do is help disperse the water into the fuel to burn out when sucked in the engine. It does NOT get rid of any water...

pckeen

Commander
Just drain the tank completely and dump the gas. If you miss even a little water, you can have problems running down the road. For the $$$ you loose by draining the tank and disposing of the gas, you'll save by avoiding problems down the road.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't waste time or money on any additives... If you had an ounce in 100 gallons then maybe but any appreciable amount you HAVE to pump and dump.

UncleWillie

Captain
100 gallons of E-10 gasoline will absorb up to 1/2 gallon of water on its own.
Sta-Bil and K100 will have no significant effect of the water absorbing quality of the fuel.
To eliminate a a small amount of water, use an Isopropyl Alcohol based water eliminator. e.g. "Iso-Heet".

If you have a tank that is 20% water; You will need to solve that problem before refilling.
You have a leak that is allowing rain or spray water into the tank. This is Not a normal storage issue.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
20% is a lot of water, it needs to be drained and repaired, because you got a leak somewhere, in a 20 gallon tank, 20% equates 4 gallons of water

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Willie. 20% water needs to be sucked out. Water will settle to the bottom of the tank. Use a hand pump, real fuel pump or a siphon hose to suck the water out. Other electric pumps can cause a fire or worse. Isopropyl alcohol is not a good fuel, especially if you have an outboard.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone,

Sorry we are late to the game here. We are here to help clear up a little confusion.

Your concerns about water in the tank are completely valid. Phase separation can actually occur when as little as .005% (4 teaspoons) water per gallon of fuel is absorbed. So if you had 20% of the tank full of water, you would be well past that point. Once phase separation has occurred, NO ADDITIVE in a reasonable amount is going to help fix that problem. You now have a water/ethanol mixture at the bottom of the tank that has an aggressive pH and gasoline sitting on top of that which has a reduced octane rating. You'll need to drain the tank and start over.

Good practice is to try and keep the tank as full as possible and use a high quality additive. This will help cut down room for condensation to form and the additive should have water handling capabilities, cleaning properties, and a rust & corrosion inhibitor.

For those that have not used additives and had success, keep doing what you have been doing. The fact is there are additives out there today that do help alleviate some issues with gasoline today (ethanol blended or not). It is important to do a good bit of research before you run any additive. There are some out there that make some pretty far reaching claims. There are others out there that are trusted and recommended by OEMs. Just be sure to do a little homework before dumping an additive in the tank.

Please let us know if you have any questions about fuel.

Have a great day!

UncleWillie

Captain
... Phase separation can actually occur when as little as .005% (4 teaspoons) water per gallon of fuel is absorbed....

You misplaced the decimal Point.
E-10 gas will typically absorb One part in 200 of Water. That is 0.64 ounces per gallon or very near 4 Teaspoons.
That is 0.005 of Total Volume, or 0.5%, but not 0.005%, water.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
At the Erie Islands is a marina that will vacuum out the contents, run it through a filter and put it back in your tank. Bill...Tibbel's does this work.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
UncleWillie,

You are absolutely correct. We made a typo and the percentage is .5% vs. .005%. Thank you for the assistance!

​Have a great day!

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Alright everyone,

We just wrapped up a few videos that we think fit very well in this thread. We apologize for digging up an older thread but these pertain directly to what was being discussed. Please enjoy the video below about some common myths across a few industries today in regard to additives and ethanol blended gas. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_trDdrT-Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XzEQVOg5wI

Have a great day!

UncleWillie

Captain
And another Video from Sta-Bil where they finally admit that it does NOT prevent Water Separation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnXImKpaks

At 5:58 they quote... "There is no chemical, in a reasonable quantity, that can recombine Water, Ethanol and Gasoline."

The easiest way to clear up that 50ml sample contaminated with 1ml of water would be to add another 200ml of E-10.
It would work, but I guess it would violate the "Reasonable Quantity" portion of the statement.

A glaring mistake in their experiments is where they demonstrate that even 1/8 of a ml of water in 50ml of gas brings on phase separation.
50 ml of E-10 will absorb twice that amount of water. (1/4ml)
So what you are looking at is not Phase Separation, but just water settling through Ethanol Free, E-00, Gasoline. I Call FOUL! :nono:

Last edited: