Hello All, introduction and couple quick questions

maglinvinn

Cadet
Hello all! I just recently (As in last night) bought a boat and i got a few questions. before we start, a little background:

I got lucky enough to find this awesome 1977 saf t mate for next to nothing. engine works, lights good, trailer sound. been stored in a barn for 20 years. you can see from the photos its in wonderful shape. I'm the second owner.

Couple things wrong with it though -

1. the stern lamp is broken. I'd love nothing more than to replace with original but i can't seem to find the peice.
2. Bimini cloth is awol (but original bimini is with it) - having trouble reconciling how to find/buy that
3. snap cover is awol.
4. prop shaft appears to be tweaked - found replacements on ebay though - so more mentioning than questioning here.

I'm not opposed to breaking out the sewing machine for the later two, but if a pattern is avialalbe or at least dimensions that'd save me hours of trial and error :D

i'm also looking at pulling a skier with it, using a self centering rig, can i tie that to the same eyelets you secure the boat down to the trailer in the back?

I know there's a restoration aspect to this, but frankly the engine starts and runs super smooth, steering is very fluid. just a couple details to make this thing awesome.

I wouldn't, based on the pictures, get opinions of a price for the package by the way. i'd love to know if i'm actually enjoying a steal or if i got robbed :D

~~Dan Eakin
Lansing MI

Attachments

• 00e0e_lZCrSOstPJ_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_lZCrSOstPJ_600x450.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • 00f0f_ajUCYyr0ced_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_ajUCYyr0ced_600x450.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 00S0S_i0zWP7NNKh4_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_i0zWP7NNKh4_600x450.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 00606_ctR55wzwLxG_600x450.jpg
    00606_ctR55wzwLxG_600x450.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 00v0v_fcx6hqPWEiD_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_fcx6hqPWEiD_600x450.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 00808_3iapfhxEeCO_600x450.jpg
    00808_3iapfhxEeCO_600x450.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As far as the Bimini and the Snap cover, take lots of measurements and give an upholstery shop a call, they should be able to get you fixed up, there are a lot of companies these days that do covers and tops.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Dan.

1. the stern lamp is broken. I'd love nothing more than to replace with original but i can't seem to find the peice.
Probably you'll wind up having to replace the light all together ... with some hunting, you might be able to find the original one but time and energy probably aren't worth it. It was likely a OEM supplier anyway, not something specific to Safe-T

... i'm also looking at pulling a skier with it, using a self centering rig, can i tie that to the same eyelets you secure the boat down to the trailer in the back?
The stern eyes will tow a skier fine. You'll probably want a float of some sort to keep the prop clear, but I grew up skiing that way. 50 will fight ya' a little pulling a skier (you're at the lower end of the power you need). It won't be exciting, but it'll work.

... I wouldn't, based on the pictures, get opinions of a price for the package by the way. i'd love to know if i'm actually enjoying a steal or if i got robbed :D
If the motor fixes cheap and easy, and you like the boat ... $1,200 wouldn't be bad in my area. I would have liked to get it closer to $1,000. With the motor not working, I would probably have tried to work the price down closer to $500 or less.

It's a good lookin' boat though.

chavis07

Cadet

Look on the Stern Lamp and see if there's a number and/or manufacturer. I found one recently from Attwood which was a direct replacement. Good Luck!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
maglinvinn I did look at the stern light. Seems the glob is missing. And since it also seems to look like most other general stern lights on the market, maybe a replacement from any other maker would snap on there. Give it a try. As far as price, if YOU feel it was a good deal that really is all that matters... :thumb:

maglinvinn

Cadet
fwiw gents and ladies i paid 450 cash for what you see, and i watched it run before pulling it away :)

maglinvinn

Cadet
I'm also trying to find literature on the mercury 500 so i can brush up on my knowledge of it and do all the oil changes and stuff before putting it in the water under power.

Tomrrow i float it so i can get the trailer weighed and licensed. Today NCIC check comes back and tells me its not stolen or something equally derpy. It hasn't been registered in 20 years ish so the SOS couldn't even begin to work with me yesterday.

Old gas tank is full of old gas. gonna dump it out into my waste oil barrel and try cleaning tank and rig w/ something to free up the port on the top of the tank, seems plugged.

I'm looking this bad boy over and i'm not finding oil on it, the PO said it was oil and fuel mix to run it but didnt give me ratio or what to cut the gas w/ to make that happen. thoughts? prolly in this elusive owners manual for the motor but still looking.

Any other insights or thoughts are uniquely appreciated as within a week or two i'll be aiming to having this out on the water.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The oil/fuel ratio on that motor should be 50:1 mix the fuel with a 2 stroke marine grade oil, all of oil I use is rated TC-W3, 50:1 will be 16 oz of oil to 6 gallons of gas. As far as an owners manual on the engine, I seriously doubt you will find an actual owners manual, but you can get a service manual that will have most of the required information in it, right here on iBoats.

What is the serial number on the motor? post it up and one of us can let you know what year the motor is.

Last edited:

maglinvinn

Cadet
sitting at my cube at work right now, i was going to tinker on the boat tonite. i'll figure out where the serial number is and get it posted here for you. the service manual is what i meant - need to know how to get hte prop shaft out and change the lower oil and all that jaaz before i float her and start the engine in a couple weeks.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
450?! Wow good for you! If the engine is in good shape the cosmetic stuff is cake. Enjoy!

maglinvinn

Cadet
having trouble finding a vin, also, the engine engages and pushes water around but i'm not seeing a stream of water off the coolant nipple on the top of hte lower. i'm guessing hte impellor is shot, or a mudwasp was living in a tube somewhere. without a manual i'm very scared to even try to drop the lower and find out. halp? :)

southkogs

Staff member
... having trouble finding a vin...
If it's not on the paperwork from the original owner, you might have a problem.

HIN should be stamped in the transom somewhere ... typically just below the rub rail. It might also be located on a capacity plate somewhere ... generally up toward the helm with the max HP on it and max number of persons, etc.

I'm sure you need a new impeller after 20 years. Got no clue about dropping the lower on a Merc though. I've only had Johnsons and Evinrudes. I watched a dude at the marina open up his Merc hood the other day ... I got tired just watching him go through all of that :D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Serial number on the engine, should be on the tilt bracket that will tell us some information on the motor, the HIN should be on the boat somewhere, could be up under the forward portion of the under in front of the dash. or could be a plate attached to the transom, in that year range, it might be called the "capacity plate"

roffey

Commander
I have never had to work on a outboard but I am going to assume changing the water impeller is the same as a I/O. For mine put the boat in gear, undo the bolts holding the lower unit on, for my boat there are 5 bolts. just wiggle the unit a little and it will fall out in your hands. Watch out it's heaver than you think. If the boat is a 1977 and has been sitting for 20 years you will need to change the impeller. I bet you tube has a video on your motor. I can't check as I am at work, lol , and for some strange reason they don't like me surfing you tube.

maglinvinn

Cadet
there's no capacity plate (looked for that aggressively) but i did find a plate riveted to the transom. i'll have someone at the house get me photos since i'm at work again. :p

maglinvinn

Cadet
No Title

some extra shots i took, couple days ago. prolly nothing immediately useful :p

Attachments

• photo225410.jpg
    photo225410.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225411.jpg
    photo225411.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225412.jpg
    photo225412.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225413.jpg
    photo225413.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225414.jpg
    photo225414.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225415.jpg
    photo225415.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225416.jpg
    photo225416.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My .02.... Forget changing the prop shaft... You can't do it yourself without specialized tools and skills... Instead get on ebay n craigslist and find a complete lower unit or parts motor.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You surely need a new impeller BUT you'd probably have better luck pumping water if you get it a little deeper... Put some wood blocks under your bucket n raise it 6" or so.