Proper docking procedure and gear

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
So, maybe I should have asked this before. If there is a post I need pointed to, I'd appreciate that.

What is the proper way to dock my boat. Right now I get out my bumpers, attach my two lines, pull up to the dock and tie off.

I ask because I'm not sure I'm doing it right. We have vacation coming in a few weeks where I rented a slip for the boat, so I want to make sure I get this right before leaving the boat unattended while docked.

Specifically, what weight rope should I user for my boat of about 3500#. What's the proper way to tie to the dock cleat or whatever is available? What is the safe and easy to tie and untie the line from the dock?

Thanks for helping with my long overdue question.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, and hopefully someone can point you to a writeup on this - I'm sure there are plenty out there. Certainly have lines and fenders ready before you begin final approach. You may want more than 2 lines after the initial docking provedure, perhaps for a spring line or 2, depending on the dock, wind, and water conditions at your slip. If you have the potential for changing water levels, current, etc, there are more considerations for tying up. If you can, see what others are doing in slips nearby.

Enjoy your vacation on, and by, the water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have a slip with dock on both sides of you(U shaped slip), use 4 lines and 4 fenders. That is what I do at my slip.

And also, don't call them bumpers...makes you sound like a rookie! :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
They are fenders because they fend off the boat from the dock.Unless you are expecting heavy weather, 3/8 lines are enough.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Specifically, what weight rope should I user for my boat of about 3500#.

3/8 inch double braid or 3 strand twist, 20 to 25 feet long, nylon

What is the safe and easy to tie and untie the line from the dock?

Assuming your in an inland lake, at a marina and in a no wake zone. Have lines and fenders ready, pull in slow. Tell everyone to keep there hands arm, legs "EVRYTHING" inside the boat. It is better to replace gelcoat then fingers, hands and legs. Go in and back out of gear to keep you pace slow enough to enter. Once in tie her up.

Going out, Turn blower on while your loading and getting ready to start engine. Once loaded, crank it up, untie everything, make sure everyone's "EVERYTHING" is inside the boat. Back it out slowly, in and out of gear if needed to keep speed just enough to keep control.

Go have some fun

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Go slow when approaching the dock. When you're about 20-25 feet from the dock hit neutral and cost in. Keep it lined up (you kind of want to go into the dock at an angle as opposed to straight ahead) Punch it in gear to keep boat moving toward dock slowly. Once you're bow is about to hit the dock use reverse to stop it and angle the stern toward the dock using you're wheel. Practice makes perfect but going SLOW is the key to the docking.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I was first learning to dock, I found a boat hook to be really helpful. It was really handy for keeping the boat from crashing into the dock or other boats, and it could be handy to snag a cleat to either slow the boat to a stop or to hold on until I could get a line on the cleat.

I don't find that that I've used the hook as much recently, now that my slow-speed control of the boat is better, but in the beginning it was a useful tool.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/...ide-a-dock.asp

Never approach the dock any faster than you're willing to hit it.

Ayuh,..... I Designed my slip at my river house with that quote in mind,.....

Dependin' on water levels, which way it's flowin', 'n how hard, along with the wind, gettin' in or out is, sometimes a challenge,....
The houseboat moored 20' out, perpendicular, with the stern in-line with the downstream wall complicates it abit,....

It's a 9' wide concrete lined, limestone ledge at the end, slip, 'n of course, the bottom comes up,....
Water levels, Now, are Great, as high as I like it,..... May/ June levels finally,... Sept/ Oct will be much lower,...
Now you can crash the limestone, later, ya won't make it,....

I've cut a bunch of 55 gallon plastic drums, lengthwise, for Bumpers, 'n lined the slip with the curved end blue ones, 'n white ones vertical at the mouth,....
If ya can get the pointy end of the barge, 'tween the white Bumpers,...... Yer home free, at worst, pop it into reverse to slow/ stop,....

I backed in Sunday night, gonna put the torque-shift prop back on, now that water levels are up again,...

I lash off like in Don's video,... amazin' how hard it is for some folks to understand something so simple,....
I always recheck when havin' "Friends" help out,....

As for dock lines,.... I like the long lines at the transom,....
Forward lines, I usually tie-off, so's it's just long enough to Not reach the prop, when it falls overboard,....
A stern line you can back over, but you'll never run over it movin' ahead,.....

Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I am fairly new to docking as well but I find going slower than I am willing to hit the dock helps. Always be in slow and don't be afraid to coast a bit and use reverse to help with stopping the last bit.

Buh-Bye

Seaman Apprentice
If you want some hands on guidance - go to a local marina or find a dock hand where you are renting the slip and ask for guidance. If you are on coastal waters, there are different things to consider like if there is a current or tidal changes. Don't tie up your lines with no slack at high tide and leave it sitting for hours. Sometimes its easier to have someone show you than watch a video on the internet. Just my 2 cents.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you're leaving the boat in the slip, I'd recommend four lines. Bow & Stern lines to keep the boat lateral, and two spring lines to keep it's length where you want it (see the link below). For docking, an additional mid-line is incredibly helpful. Having someone throw a mid-line to someone onshore will allow you to pivot around the mid-line if you get a wind blowing you away from the dock (which will tend to push your bow away). I also like to run my mid-line aft so my girlfriend can toss both the mid and stern line to the dock hands at the marina.

Another protip is how you configure your spring lines. While hanging out you'll want to run the boat back so it's ~2" away from the dock and easy to step on and off (which gets tricky after a handfulla cocktails). If you leave for an evening or are expecting weather, adjust them for a little more space between the dock and the boat, as the lines will stretch and the cleat will tighten in weather. Also, don't firm up *everything*, it's hard on the boat's cleats. Let the boat blow a little one way or the other with the wind.

You might also want some folding chairs and a cooler with wheels for the marina (especially if the marina has a fire pit or grills). If you're running a hose for onboard water or shorepower, an outdoor floor mat or carpet is also handy to keep people from tripping if your power post is across the boat from your inlets.

http://www.dockgearsupply.com/productdocs/fig 7.jpg

Last edited:

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If there is a wind parallel to the dock face your boat into the wind, if there is a current face your boat into the current.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
This all helps a ton. I've been fairly comfortable with the approach, but the article speaking if angle should help me get a little better. I now put 3 fenders on, one rear, mid and then right where the 30 - 45 deg mark would be. I come in slow, and can usually get it right the first time.

Main thing I wasn't clear on was tying and making sure I have the right rope. PO had a lift so it wasn't important to him. I will go buy the right rope and another fender so I have 4. I had been doing my rope flip wrong, so thanks for the video. I'm going to lake Rathbun in IA and I really want the boat to be safe over night.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see you are now using fenders and not bumpers, next use line instead of rope.