Advice: 1998 Crownline 225ccr or 2000 FW 235 Sundowner

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have located 2 potential boats for our family of 4 in New Brunswick, Canada. The river we boat on is large and it is not uncommon to have 1-2' of chop. The 2 potential boats are:

1) 2000 Four Winns 235 Sundowner stainless steel dual prop, 5.7 liter(350 cc) 280 hp with volvo penta lower unit, trim tabs, bimini, mooring cover
2) 1998 Crownline 225ccr with 5.7 L EFI mercruiser engine, Bravo drive and SS prop., mooring cover

Both boats appear to be in good shape based on pictures, with the Sundowner being in almost perfect condition. Both used in fresh water.

The issue is that the Sundowner is located approximately 6 hrs away and I would also need to go through the headache of importing from US into Canada. The Crownline is only a 2 hour drive and located in New Brunswick. The Crownline is approximately $2000 cheaper. Are the boats comparable in performance? Is it worth the extra effort and $$ to potentially pick up the Sundowner? I think the volvo duo prop would be nice, but have never owned one. Our current coat is a 1990 21' larson cuddy with an alpha 1 - we get beat up pretty bad when the wind comes up, which is why I am looking for something that is a little smoother riding.

tpenfield

Staff member
Crownline would be my choice. Not sure that either of those boats will be a world of difference in the chop. Better, by some amount, but maybe not a whole lot.

Have you done any research into the handling characteristics of the 2 boats in question?

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
The 2000 FW has the ill-fated VDO gauge cluster. Those WILL fail and cause all kinds of headaches with trim, RPM, speed, temp etc.
There is no plug and play replacement for those clusters. You have to have them repaired ($600) or custom fabricate an entire dash panel
and fit all new gauges (Faria for one) and re-install all wires and newly made gauge cluster. Not worth it IMO.

I

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 2000 FW has the ill-fated VDO gauge cluster. Those WILL fail and cause all kinds of headaches with trim, RPM, speed, temp etc.
There is no plug and play replacement for those clusters. You have to have them repaired ($600) or custom fabricate an entire dash panel
and fit all new gauges (Faria for one) and re-install all wires and newly made gauge cluster. Not worth it IMO.

I

Wow - thanks for the warning. That is too bad.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Crownline would be my choice. Not sure that either of those boats will be a world of difference in the chop. Better, by some amount, but maybe not a whole lot.

Have you done any research into the handling characteristics of the 2 boats in question?

I did some research, but there is not a lot of information out there on the web. I know the Crownline has more deadrise and is heavier than our current boat so I thought there would be a noticeable improvement. I think it also has XL rot resistant plywood.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I vote for the Crownline because the cuddy is heads & tails better than what you get with the FourWinns. More room, separate head compartment, better entry, better ventilation.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
The crownline has a spacious cuddy at a sacrifice of space in the cockpit area.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great information! Really glad I posted this question. I really thought the volvo drive and walk through transom would make the FW more popular.

thumpar

Admiral
I have the 5.7l EFI and Bravo on my Crownline. It is great. The problem for some with Volvo is service in the area. You can get a Mercruiser fixed anywhere. Volvo not so much.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Plus the Volvo fuel pump failures (in older boats), cost of parts is higher than Mercruiser for many components.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Yes. But, you may get lucky and the gages will have already been repaired. Many fail, but some owners have been lucky and had no issues.
It's a calculated risk.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a 2003 bayliner 245 ciera with a 5.7l carbed mercuiser paired to a BIII. Mint condition and seems reasonably priced. I had not considered a bayliner, but most of the reviews on the web are very positive. Any have experience with this boat?

thumpar

Admiral
The bayliner won't have the extra little touches but as long as it is solid they are not terrible. The only thing I can see is that you may wish for a bigger motor. The BIII is a plus.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"The only thing I can see is that you may wish for a bigger motor."

5.7 w/B3 is plenty of motor/drive for that boat. That's what I have motivating my 250 Sundancer and that thing gets up and goes when I need it to. The B3 makes all the difference. When I was looking for a used trailerable cruiser I simply would not consider anything w/o a B3 or Volvo DP.

If you like the boat's styling, layout & amenities go for it. IMHO Bayliner does a better job than most utilizing the limited space you have with a trailerable cruiser.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will go look at that and 1999 Glastron 249 with a 7.4l volvo. Both have under 300 hrs . The glastron is priced 2 k above the 2003 245 bayliner with the 5.7 bIII. Both engines are carbed

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Does the Glastron have the DP on it? I don't think I would want a boat that big unless it had twins or a dual prop drive. I have the 5.7l in my 20' and would love more power. For me 20' is about the cutoff for the 5.7l but I also like to go fast.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought the bayliner would still do a bit over 40 mph, which is find for me as long as it get up on plane ok.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
My SeaRay will run 42-43 MPH. Again a 5.7 with the B3 is plenty of motor/drive for that Bayliner. It's a cruiser, not a sport or ski boat. Still, absolutely test drive it and make that decision for yourself. As much as I liked my 250 'Dancer sitting on the trailer it was the test drive that sealed the deal for me. The first thing that struck me was how effortlessly it got up on plane.