Fish and Ski type

peanutsdad

Cadet
I am looking at getting more of a multi purpose /larger boat. I need a boat that will pull a tube or skier but also allow me to comfortably fish. My question is do I go with the "bass" type fish and ski like a Stratos/Nitro or a walleye/style like a Lund Tyvee , Crestliner Sport fish? Pros and Cons of each.

Boat will mainly be used on Mississippi river.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You're kinda asking a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge question.

Are you going to be pulling youngsters? With kids I would stay away from bass boat styles. Also don't forget about the Admiral's comfort. You know the saying - If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Include her in the decision or it's going to be your boat instead of our boat. Just some words to chew on.

peanutsdad

Cadet
All types of fishing.

The comfort of the boat is my main concern. It seems the bass style seats are awfully low and might not be great for a couple hour ride on the river. Do the boats ride differently?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
much differently. So for comfort on seating I'd go with Lund or Crestliner same for ride they have a deeper v. Go test drive if you can.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I am looking at getting more of a multi purpose /larger boat. I need a boat that will pull a tube or skier but also allow me to comfortably fish. My question is do I go with the "bass" type fish and ski like a Stratos/Nitro or a walleye/style like a Lund Tyvee , Crestliner Sport fish? Pros and Cons of each.

Boat will mainly be used on Mississippi river.
The question is, what type of fishing do you do now? That will tell you what kind of boat best suits your needs.

Are you a bass angler (like me), blasting across the water at 70mph looking for fish, then stopping and using an electric trolling motor for hours at a time while casting for lunkers? Or do you slowly troll along with the big motor with your lines spread out trying for walleye? Maybe you get to a spot and anchor up and just sit for hours, waiting for the catfish to bite? How you fish will influence what suits you best. :)

southkogs

Staff member
You might also consider a center console boat like a Carolina Skiff or a Whaler. Should make a good fishin' boat and cruise pretty nicely as well.