Power trim/ tilt bypassed, Can boat be operated?

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My power trim on my 1984 Evinrude 115 quit operating at the boat launch after loading on trailer. Trouble shooting indicates a problem in the motor. My question is this: If I open the relief screw and lower the motor can I use the motor until I can properly fix the trim problem?
Thanks jim pittman

Maclin

Admiral
I had an Outboard that the tilt and trim worked but bled down pretty quickly. It would not hold any trim up for very long and the bow would plow a little until I hit the trim up again. And again. And again. I was able to move the adjustable pin on the bottom of the motor mount bracket out a couple of holes so at speed it would be be trimmed up somewhat but not raise the bow too much taking off. A byproduct of that adjustment was the skeg could then clear the pavement when the motor was all the way down when towing. I did not tow that way but felt better about an accidental motor drop.

In your case I would be worried about reversing, if there is no pressure in the trim system, not wanting the motor to kick up with too much throttle when backing..

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Tilt and trim systems usually have 2 circuits: A high pressure (trim) circuit for the medium positions and a low pressure (tilt) circuit that operates the engine from (Merc) -4 to +20 degrees of tilt. If you put too much prop pressure on the tilt circuit it will bleed down to the bottom of the trim circuit.....made for low rpm pressure only. If both fail, just let them fail. You should have a tilt pin on your transom bracket. Put it in the hole that suits you and be on your way. If you have to lift your engine for any reason, the pressure relief switch needs to be in the bleed position and it wouldn't hurt to just leave it there incase you hit a submerged object.