Is small block power enough for the crownline 225?

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been looking to buy another boat as i sold my searay, And a 1998 crownline 225 ccr with 480hours came up for sale close to me. Its has the merc 5.7 efi (260hp i believe) and bravo drive and wondering if thats a big enough engine for a 22.5ft boat? A lot of them seem to have the 7.4 in them. Also are these decent boats for the size in the ocean? Anything in particular to look for in this model of boat other then the transom and normal stuff to watch for?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It'll perform about the same as your current 20'er with a 5.0

Doesn't exactly strike me as an ocean boat.

thumpar

Admiral
Crownlines have a low deadrise so handle a little rough in waves. I have that engine in my 202 and it does fine but would like something bigger if the boat was longer. In 1998 Crownline switched to XL wood so you shouldn't have to worry about rot.

Last edited:

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah i figured top speed would be close to my searay, around 50mph which is good enough for me. I see they have 18* deadrise compared to my searay which had 15* and that boat beat the guts out of me when the wind picked up, but wondering with the extra hull length if it would be much better

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Should be a bit better ... The increase in dead rise will cost you a little speed but soften the ride a bit.

Fly'n Family

Cadet
5.7L is a good motor, should be plenty sufficient. How far out in the ocean? IMO - Seems like a pretty small boat unless in ideal conditions, which can change very quickly.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah i would definitely be picking the better days to go. I am trying to avoid buying a boat with a big block which most boats have any larger than the 225, and still getting around 50mph

thumpar

Admiral
I don't know that you will get 50mph with that combo. Crownlines are heavy boats. The big block would be best. Most people are afraid of big engines but for some boats they will be better on fuel because you don't have to push the bigger engine as hard.