Trim issues

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. I have an 87 Arrow Glass 18 foot fiberglass boat with a 3.0L mercruiser and Alpha 1 outdrive. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but when I take off and I'm going under 6 MPH, the front end is WAY up in the air. I mean not like vertical but to the point where I have to stand to see. I can trim it down all the way as low as the rams will go, and it will be better but not level. At a higher speed of around 15 to max, it planes out fine. But at slower speeds, I can't get the front end down low enough to see without having to stand up. IS there something I'm missing here on how to trim this out?

Thalasso

Commander
When starting out always trim in fully and then as the boat builds speed start trimming out.It's never going to be level when starting out. Doubt it but do you have trim tabs?

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep what you are missing is go slower OR faster... 6(I suspect more like 8)-15 mph you are plowing, making a huge wake and burning lots of gas.

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was kind of thinking as much. I just know that on the lake I go fishing on all the time there is NO wake after 6pm. Well if I go 10 to 15mph, that gets me level, but then I'm creating wake. Kinda like a no win.

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now that I'm thinking about it, it probably doesn't help that I'm 618 lbs. Couldn't get a boat to plane right with a jet plane.

Bondo

Staff member
I was kind of thinking as much. I just know that on the lake I go fishing on all the time there is NO wake after 6pm. Well if I go 10 to 15mph, that gets me level, but then I'm creating wake. Kinda like a no win.

Ayuh,.... A No wake zone means under 5 mph,.....

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is what I thought Bondo. So at that speed, I'm ok. I could use my 4.5 hp kicker motor to do that then.