Riding Rough

tnman85

Recruit
I am new to iBoats I looked all through the past forums and could not find this specific topic so I decided to put it out there and see what happened. I have a 1998 Seaswirl Spyder RS 198 it is running the volvo 7.4l with Cobra SX Drive, I took it out for the first real time ( basically rebuilt the boat) now granted it was the 4th of July and everyone who owned a boat brought it to the water so it was rough water to say the least. Down to the issue, the boat is a running a 14 1/4 x 23 stainless steel prop, and is VERY slow on take off but great on top end but if the water is rough it will dang near beat you to death I mean I have been in boats my entire life and never ridden in a boat that rode this bad, my question is, is spending the money on a Bennett tab system going to make it better or am I just in the wrong boat for being on the TN river? Any advise, guidance or options is greatly appreciated. Picture of the boat attached.

Attachments

• 20150621_164807_resized_1.jpg
    20150621_164807_resized_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very flat V. That boat is designed to do exactly what you said It does. Go fast, ride rough.

tnman85

Recruit
I understand "it is what it is" but would trim tabs help when the waters are rough? Not expecting it to ride like a crown line or tahoe.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What the tabs sill do, if you install them, is let you find a speed just off plane where the boat will ride okay. They can make it a bit better while on plane by adjusting the attitude and they can make it safer as the bow can be oriented correctly for the wave direction but they will not make it ride well while on plane.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep tabs are great but the only things that will really make it ride better are 1, smoother water, 2, less speed, and, 3, a different boat.

tnman85

Recruit
smokeonthewater "a different boat" I literally LOL I think I will probably run the tabs and maybe add some wright via a fat sac of some sort, and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Before messing with a fat sack try some fat friends and consider the weight capacity of the boat.... If you add water weight can you still carry passengers.... Honestly I don't think weight will help much if at all.

Alumarine

Captain
As far as your low slow takeoff goes what are you maximum WOT rpm's with your current prop?
You might want to go down a size.

southkogs

Staff member
The TN River won't be any bumpier than anywhere else, add the traffic and it'll get choppy. Priest was real bumpy this weekend with the 4th traffic and wind ...

What about trimming the drive? Do you see any change by adjusting the trim angle? I'm leaning Marc's direction: look at how you're propped.