Can anybody suggest a better folding transom ladder rubber retainer/snap clip?

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I don't have any pictures. I have a 2010 Glastron 2010 GT 180 that has a 3 step folding transom ladder. I think the diameter of the ladder tubes is about 1 inch.

The bracket/retainer thingy (technical term) that holds the ladder in the folded up position is just a rubber bracket that the vertical ladder tube on the lower part just pops into. The two sides just spread apart to let the tube in and then the natural elasticity of the rubber material is supposed to hold the ladder in that position until you pull it out to fold the ladder down for use.

It's like the thingy in the attachment.

The old bracket wouldn't hold the ladder up because it was worn out so I just replaced it with a brand new one but that one still doesn't work. The material is just too weak.

I was thinking of just using a band of double sided 1" velcro that I would affix to the mounting bracket for the rubber thingy using a bolt and washer but there's gotta be something better out there. I was looking at these:

http://www.replacementboatparts.com/Ladderclips.aspx

Are these pretty good?

I could either use it to hold both halves of the ladder together or just take one half of the set, drill a hole through it and mount it to the surface where the rubber one mounts now. In other words, just replace the lame rubber clip with one of those nylon ones.

Does anybody have any other suggestions or could point me in the direction of a better mouse trap?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!o0FHgby-Or,BSBS7N!mK!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!o0FHgby-Or,BSBS7N!mK!~~60_12.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
I use something like a flexi tie. That way if someone needs the ladder to release, it will.

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'm thinking of trying these plastic pipe hanger/clips out. I have to buy a pack of 10 but they only cost a few bucks for the pack. I think they'll work great and I'll have a bunch of spares to use in case they get brittle and break after a while. I can get them in either PVC, PVC-U or PPR plastic. Anyone have an idea as to what would be the better material to choose for this application?

Attachments

• photo224861.jpg
    photo224861.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0