Standing water in bow

swift1

Cadet
Hey all. Just got back from some excellent boating in Prince Edward County, Ontario. First time in these waters - absolutely beautiful! Anyhow, brought my Chaparral home for a good cleaning and some minor maintenance. When I removed the cup holders at the front of the bow, I noticed water underneath. I reached down into the cavity below the cup holders and discovered about 6 inches of standing water. I felt around the bottom but couldn't locate a drain hole. I've never noticed this before but am concerned that water can be trapped underneath this area. Has anyone else dealt with this- any suggestions on how to fix the problem?
thanks

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If there's no forward bilge pump, (my 24' Chap has one) I would thing the water should drain back to the back of the boat. Something may be blocked.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Could be as simple as a cash register receipt or leaf blocking a drain ...

Get a wet-vac and get the water out and see if you can locate the plugged drainage passage.

gotta get the water out and start looking.

swift1

Cadet
There is no forward bilge pump, but I would think the water should drain as well. Its a tight squeeze to get my arm through the hole where the cup holder sits, but I did manage to reach the bottom rear of the cavity. I can only feel fiberglass and wood, no drain hole. I'll try the wet vac trick, and hope that it clears the blockage.
Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's also possible that that compartment was originally supposed to be sealed and water isn't supposed to get in there in the first place... Then later someone decides to put cup holders in... Of course you don't want your cup holders filling with water so they drain into the otherwise sealed compartment.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Can guarantee that if there is a compartment on a boat water will find a way in.... so it needs a way out.

I had to get 2 feet of water out of a compartment of an aircraft carrier that was supposed to be where no water could ever get in....

UncleWillie

Captain
Consider that your boat is constructed of two pieces of Fiberglass.
Everything below the Bub rail is one piece, and everything connected together above the rail is another.
The two pieces nest into each other but are not permanently connected.
There should be a small gap between the two.
After nearly 20 years, It would not take much to imagine that something might be blocking the gap.

Blow compressed air into any suspicious looking seams looking forward from inside the Ski locker.
If bubbles appear in the water, you just blew out the blockage. At least temporarily anyway!