1979 Bomber fish/ski boat values

79bomber

Cadet
I am new to this forum and boating. I am presently looking at buying a 1979 Bomber fish/ski boat with a 140 Mercury Outboard on it. This boat is always garage kept and looks like almost brand new. All wood and carpet and hull and everything is excellent from the trailer to the anchor to the paint (paint is incredible). It has power trim, trolling motor, depth finder, vests, everything. What is a boat like this worth? Would it be worth $2500.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Paint looks great?

If its been painted, I'd want to know exactly what all has been done to the boat, specifics, and how.

A 1979 fish and ski was originally finished in gelcoat, are you sure its not gelcoat? A fiberglass resin product, not paint? Even if its metal flake, it was still originally gelcoat.

Google 1979 Bomber fish and ski and hit the images tab. Does it look like the boats that show up?

If it has been painted, I'd bet the interior has seen some work too. If there are hatches in the deck (floor) or fold out seats, open them and examine the interior spaces very carefully. Actually put your hands every where you can, but esp into places you cant see into. If you have to put a camera or cellphone below/into areas you cant see and shoot pix.

A running motor on a good condition boat w a towable trailer might have an extremely different 'value'' to me in WV then it would in any other place.

Condition is nearly everything, so post some pix, or a link to the ad, but putting hands on it is a much better judge of 'worth' then age or brand. After condition, confirm it has whatever paper trail your state requires, BillOfSale, Registration, title.

Some use Nada for value, but that can be inaccurate

Good luck and welcome to iboats

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'll add too that no matter the condition this is not a highly desired boat.... It may well be "worth" that much but only to a small number of people who would want to own that boat.

79bomber

Cadet
You are teaching me already. It is, in fact, gray/silver flake gel coat and not paint. It has the original orange/yellow Bomber decals on the outside. All I knew is that it is nearly perfect and even SHINY, top and bottom. I have had my hands almost all over it. I have walked in it and opened every hatch, but not with a light. This guy has dryer sheets in the live well, the center bench seat cooler and the center floor hatch door. I will get some pics after vacation. I had to leave the day after I looked at it. He is holding it for me. Even the Mercury 140 engine is still shiny and the blue decals on the engine are still blue and not faded. I'm shocked at what it looks like. The only thing I have to do it try it out on the river when I get home. NO HOLES OR TEARS IN ANY VINYL! That's why I am so shocked.

79bomber

Cadet
I'll add too that no matter the condition this is not a highly desired boat.... It may well be "worth" that much but only to a small number of people who would want to own that boat.

I had a feeling that desireability could be an issue, but I have a week to educate myself before taking a test cruise. He says that all is well. I will see Saturday for sure.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
A boat that old and of that make/model only you the buyer can put a price on it. How much do you like it and how bad do you want it? At the asking price w/o the right buyer he could be sitting on it for a long time regardless of condition.

79bomber

Cadet
Thanks, bonz_d.

Any info or thoughts are appreciated.
The age bugs me a little, but it is so spotless, it's ridiculous.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Comes down to what you think it's worth and what you would be comfortable paying for it.. If you really like it then give'm the money. But at least get them to put it in the water and run it for you. For that kind of money I'd have them do that for any boat. Then if they are reluctant to do that walk away because they are hiding something. That amount of money for that age of boat it should be a turn key needing nothing.

Example. I just came across a 1978 Johnson 35hp that someone was selling. Thing looks brand new,asking price, $1800.00!!! I think they are delusional.

79bomber

Cadet
I'm gonna post about the 140 Mercury outboard (blue band) on the engine section and see what people think about that. Inline 6, as I understand it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
In it's day it was the Supreme Beast. As for today I can't give advise on parts availability which would be the biggest issue.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it's clean and solid, runs/drives great, trailer is good, I wouldn't have any problem paying 2500 for it.

79bomber

Cadet
Thanks for the posts 444. The price is very reasonable due to the excellence. Your input is appreciated.

79bomber

Cadet
Well, I am taking the plunge. Here are the pics of the 1979 Cox Bomber / 140 Mercury Inline 6 Cylinder. The man took me out in it and it ran great. I drove it and looked all over the boat. It has no rot and everything works. Thank you all for your input! It helped me more than you know. I'm trying to post pics in a couple posts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have said many times, what we think doesn't make a difference as you are the buyer and if you are happy with it then that's all that counts. Sounds as if you checked it out very well so now enjoy it!

There is a topic at the beginning of the forum with a guild as to posting pictures. Most here use photobucket.com as a free host site. I'll be looking forward to your pictures.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you use photobucket or other 3rd party, you dont have to wait to post pix

Congrats on the new to you boat

79bomber

Cadet
Here are some pics gentlemen, I think. Let me know what you think by the pics. It is as good as pictures for sure.