Need some inputs about bow riders

Blackbart5

Seaman
Hello, I'm looking to get rid of my pontoon. I've been searching for bowriders. I'm looking for 22/26ft in length due to the size of family(10/13 inlaws included). With my budget, I'm looking at late ninetys boats, ('95 and newer). I'm hearing of there are several "best" brands out there. I would like to hear some opinions from you guys as to which boats of this length and years are good boats. I have one I'm looking at but I don't wanna start a discussion about just THAT BOAT, so I will not reveal the name. Thank you.

thumpar

Admiral
I am partial to Crownline. Cobalt is another great one. I know there are more upper tier boats but those come to mind first.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rented a 24' Hurricane deck boat on my last trip to Florida. The brand was new to me but what a great boat that turned out to be. Cobalt and Formulas are great boats but I think your paying a premium for the name.

Blackbart5

Seaman
Thank you for the input so far. The boat I'm looking at is a 1997 crownline 266br with the 7.4. I'm not liking the idea of a 454 due to the fuel line the size of a garden hose. I was also looking at a 1996 mariah 27ft.......can any body tell me the pros and cons of a 1995-1998 crownline br please.......handle, quality, perks, things of that nature. Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Any boat of that size range . . . 26-27 feet . . . is going to use a fair amount of fuel versus a small bowrider. You are sooo much better off getting the bigger engine, because they do not use that much more fuel for a larger boat, and in some cases can actually use less fuel than an underpowered boat.

So, don't go getting a big boat / smaller engine thinking that you are saving fuel.

In general, expect about 2.5 mpg regardless of engine size.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I have a 1996 Crownline 202BR. They are well built and have the little extra features you only find on the high end boats. I agree on sticking with the big engine. If you were to get a boat that size with a smaller engine I will have to really work hard to get on plane and get any decent speed. Since the 266 you are looking at has the 7.4l I would figure it has the Bravo 1 or 3. The Bravo 3 would be a major plus.

Blackbart5

Seaman
I have a 1996 Crownline 202BR. They are well built and have the little extra features you only find on the high end boats. I agree on sticking with the big engine. If you were to get a boat that size with a smaller engine I will have to really work hard to get on plane and get any decent speed. Since the 266 you are looking at has the 7.4l I would figure it has the Bravo 1 or 3. The Bravo 3 would be a major plus.
........why would the bravo drives be a plus? It is a duel prop outdrive, is the Volvo just as good?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
No huge advantage of one brand vs. the other(Merc vs VP ) . . . more an advantage of the dual prop drives vs. single prop, which both brands have . . .

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For that age of boat, I would worry more about condition than brand. One that's been well maintained, kept dry, etc.

thumpar

Admiral
........why would the bravo drives be a plus? It is a duel prop outdrive, is the Volvo just as good?
A Volvo would be fine but most Crownlines have Merc. What I really meant was the dual prop would be a plus.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dual props are the best. Way easier to get up on plane and way easier to maneuver at slow speeds. Volvo and Merc Bravos are both good.

I have seen many Crownlines with Volvos. A neighbor of mine up in Lake Tahoe has one.

A Merc Bravo is a plus over a Merc Alpha but if you are looking at boats with big blocks like a 7.4, They will be Bravos unless you are looking at a much older boat.

Last edited:

Blackbart5

Seaman
Guys, thanks for all the input. I have my list of things to check as I hope it checks out ok. I would really like to purchase this boat. It's big/roomy/powerful. Just what I'm looking for. But rest assured, I will walk if I see any sign of water where it's not supposed to be.