Where do I dump an old boat hull in California

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to buy an old 76 Hawaiian tri hull boat cheap. The hull and insides are trashed so there is no way I am going to restore it. I'm planning to take a trailer with the engine and maybe some other parts that are worth stripping and dump the hull. The question is where can I get rid of it. I will give it for free if anyone needs it or donate it or dump it on a bot junk yard, just need to find one. Any help is much appreciated, since I have no desire to tow the hull from Ventura California to Phoenix Arizona. Thank you.
Also I wonder if two people could lift a 4 cyl engine into the truck or do we need an engine lift.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Your best bet is probably going to be a landfill, most of them around the country will take them for a small fee.

T748

Seaman
Your best bet is probably going to be a landfill, most of them around the country will take them for a small fee.

My landfill wants $75. to junk a boat. You need to remove any hazardous materials like gas and oil, and bring proof of ownership. They will pull it off the trailer for you. -Tom.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My landfill wants $75. to junk a boat. You need to remove any hazardous materials like gas and oil, and bring proof of ownership. They will pull it off the trailer for you. -Tom.

I am lucky where I live, we can dispose of one boat a month for free, the last 2 boats I junked I cut up and threw them in the back of the truck and took then to the transfer station.

dlogvine

Nice, will see how much does the landfill in CA charges for the dump

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
as for lifting the engine, it depends on the two guys... two scrawny little twigs... uh no... two 6' corn fed country boys, yeah probably... me and 3 buddies once carried a '68 caddillac 472 and a few other odds n ends on a hood 150' for an all you can carry sale at a junkyard... Me and another buddy picked up complete chevy 350's and put em on engine stands multiple times...... of course this was nearly 20 years ago..... no flippin way I'd try such foolishness today since my back is pretty beat from doing those stupid things back in the day.

dlogvine

Lol I think me and my buddy could lift this dam thing, we are not really a couple of shrinking petunias, will have to use some lifting straps though

Fun Times

Staff member
If you have access to a dumpster and the means to cut it up in small sections, you're are good to go.

This guy claimed $20.00 in 2013,
I was able to take my hull to the Brea dump in the OC. They just made sure there was nothing in the fuel tanks, or oil in the boat. Dude on the tractor put a chain around the transom and drug the sum ***** off the trailer... all for $20.00
thumbsUp.gif
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/vesdispose.aspx

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
An 8' 4x4 chained to the motor in the middle... One guy on each end with a shoulder under the 4x4.... Working together very carefully.....

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Edit

Lets stay on topic about an unwanted boat disposal

Last edited by a moderator:

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Be mindful of the oil pan on that engine as you wrestle it around. Those things are pricy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not seeing the actual boat/hull, I have no idea what you're trying to dispose of. If it is repairable, why not set it out by the road with a sign on it for "free". Or if you want it gone overnight, put a for sell sign on it and somebody will steal it... :facepalm:

dlogvine

I am looking at 76 Hawaiian tri hall from boat Angels. I was thinking about taking the trailer and stripping the rest, but I don't want to drag the hull all the way from Ventura California to Phoenix Arizona. So I was thinking about loading the engine and the outboard and a couple of the other pieces into my truck and dumping the hull somewhere on the way, don't think this hull is worth the gas I would use on pulling it. The hull is in ok shape but the upholstery and carpet is dead and will cost more to fix than the boat is worth

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am looking at 76 Hawaiian tri hall from boat Angels. I was thinking about taking the trailer and stripping the rest, but I don't want to drag the hull all the way from Ventura California to Phoenix Arizona. So I was thinking about loading the engine and the outboard and a couple of the other pieces into my truck and dumping the hull somewhere on the way, don't think this hull is worth the gas I would use on pulling it. The hull is in ok shape but the upholstery and carpet is dead and will cost more to fix than the boat is worth

Yes that may be according to your wants and money, but you never know who would love to take it off your hands and rework it. Some folks like doing such things and that is their hobby... :noidea: