i just acquired my fathers boat

wabbitt

Recruit
My brother just gave me my father's boat. It has been sitting up since 02. The only problems I see is the doors for the storage need replacing and one small soft spot in the upper decking. It has a 70 hp Nissan outboard on it. My question is do I need to anything more than drain fuel or is their anything else I should do to it before I try to crank it. I am not much of a mechanic but if I know what's wrong I can replace parts.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard wabbitt:

I would check all the lubes, swap out the fuel - before you run it seriously the impeller needs swapped, but you can run it a bit on muffs first - check and clean the plugs and make sure you don't have any critters nesting inside 'n give her a whirl.

wabbitt

Recruit
Thank you I was worried I might mess something up from simply not knowing what I was doing I haven't done anything with a boat in 20 years

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would be cautious about firing it up with that old impeller. No telling how long it was replaced before being laid up 13 years ago. If it comes apart when you start it up then the cooling system could get plugged with the impeller pieces causing you a bunch more work and maybe money if you don't notice and it cooks the power head. Get a new water pump kit and replace before starting would be my suggestion.

Pull the spark plugs and shoot some fogging oil in the cylinders and after letting it sit for a while, turn the motor over by hand, not with the starter to make sure the rings are free.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I would be cautious about firing it up with that old impeller. No telling how long it was replaced before being laid up 13 years ago. If it comes apart when you start it up then the cooling system could get plugged with the impeller pieces causing you a bunch more work and maybe money if you don't notice and it cooks the power head. Get a new water pump kit and replace before starting would be my suggestion.

Pull the spark plugs and shoot some fogging oil in the cylinders and after letting it sit for a while, turn the motor over by hand, not with the starter to make sure the rings are free.
I agree completely. Do some work before trying to start the motor and you may save yourself a lot of work and money later.