Bimini top sticks in storage preventable?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a brand new top from west marine just mounted it this year. It has the cover for storage with is great and it has been in this stowed position for roughly 3 weeks and today I went to open it and it was sticking to itself and the cover and almost feels like it rip if I had let it go unopened any longer. Is there any way to prevent this other then leaving it open like a softener I can apply or canvas wax of sorts?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would probably wipe it down with 303 or armor all protector, they are designed for cleaning plastics, vinyls and those types of materials

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for the replies. Spray silicon I fell would break down the natural fibers of the top. I used armorall's vinyl protectant and that worked for the sticking but really made the exposure from sun take a toll on it I can easily see any spot I missed when I applied it Becuase it is a deeper shade of blue. Contacting the manufacturer they said its best to leave the cover off when being stowed outside. Use the cover for transporting and indoor winter storage. Seems to me spending a few more dollars on a better made top would have been the best decision. Lesson learned.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Stick with a good material like Sunbrella and you will never have these issues. Never use material that is coated on one side. You may think that is a good thing but in the log run it is way worse.