Boat leans to the left!!!

stevenjamez

Recruit
Hi guys the names Steve here's my deal, I bought a 84 Celebrity 16 or 17 foot bow rider and the thing leans to the left when driving. It's not water logged or anything like that. I put a trim tab on and a whale tale on in hopes to fix it and nothing I have no idea what would make it lean. Any ideas I'm lost I'll have take it in if I can't figure it out please help!

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Whale tale i know what you are are talking about but trim tab could be a couple different things. Describe a bit more

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I put a trim tab on and a whale tale on in hopes to fix it and nothing

Hi, Steve. Trying to understand... you put on ONE trim tab? Describe what that means, because trim tabs come in pairs- one mounts on each side of the transom. If the boat sits level at rest and leans to the left underway it sounds like propeller torque, which is normal to some degree. Trim tabs are specifically designed to level the boat under those conditions.

tpenfield

Staff member
Deep V hulls tend to lean to one side, but I am not sure a 16' Celebrity would really have that deep of a V. You could try shifting some weight in the boat to see if you can balance it out. Otherwise, a set of Bennet or Lonco trim tabs might do the trick.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I believe he's talking about a trim tab for the lower unit.... Will do nothing for boat trim...
I suspect the "lean" is from propeller torque and likely is normal....

Pretty much the only way to eliminate that is with tabs... Smart tabs may also be an option as they are adjustable I'm not certain how much side to side you can dial in tho... I suggest a call to nauticus as they are the experts.

southkogs

Staff member
Start with some basics Steve: how are you typically loaded out? Number of people, pile-o-stuff, cooler, etc.

Welcome aboard!

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going from a very stable Boston Whaler ride (I still have, wife hates the pounding) to this old Glasspar...

The steering, and all associated handling, is greatly different.
I have tried placing loading and have achieved a much easier boat to handle.
Honestly, I have to use boths hands on the wheel until I get that bow down and running on a high plane.
I do believe after researching smart tabs, they will help a lot, as my boat is only 17 foot/85 HP.

I am awaiting them now, and I will post after trials....

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

As already mentioned, some lean towards port is normal with a single right-hand prop. You may or may not be able to offset this with moving things around. Trim tabs (not the one that looks like a fin on the lower unit) would help a lot.

stevenjamez

Recruit
Well thanks so much to all that posted well like I said in the first post it starts to lean to the left when underway sitting its fine (level). However when under way I have realy fight the wheel when going straight like its pulling to the left. When I turn left the boat really leans almost scary like its going to take on water. Yes the trim tab that I'm referring to is on the lower unit not on the boat.

Alumarine

Captain
You should be able to adjust the trim tab to compensate for it pulling to the left.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's steering torque, not leaning and normally it's to the right for a right hand rotation prop. Trim the motor up after reaching a plane and the steering torque should lessen or go away completely.

stevenjamez

Recruit
Yes I do that and it helps but somthing else is going on if u were to drive it u would understand and like u said it ahould be to the right not left.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
While underway you have a list to the port side but it rides normally in the water when not underway.

Check the underside of the hull for any deformities that could've created a hook in the hull on the side where there is the list. Normally boats have a list due to improper weight distribution that would be there whether underway or not.

Well thanks so much to all that posted well like I said in the first post it starts to lean to the left when underway sitting its fine (level). However when under way I have realy fight the wheel when going straight like its pulling to the left. When I turn left the boat really leans almost scary like its going to take on water. Yes the trim tab that I'm referring to is on the lower unit not on the boat.

I had several do this to me. One was water that was trapped in some rotted wood and old foam flotation. Another was with the outboard. It looked straight on the transome but had actually got jarred a bit after wind and wake blew the back of the boat up on a cement step at the ramp. If it is an IO it could be bent just a tad. it does not take much at all.

Both times the boat ran on a lisp or leaned to the left and if I turned the wheel to level the boat out we were turning left with a level boat and it would only track straight when riding with a lisp or leaning on its side some what.

DONT RELY on your bilge pump to check for water. Tilt the engine or out drive up and place something under the back of your trailor so it can only tilt so far and pull the drain plug and raise the tongue up as high as you safely can and leave it sit that way a bit. If you get some water fine but if it comes out discolored or stinky and or lots of debris then you got issues between the floor and hull.

Hope it is an easy fix
Jim

Last edited:

stevenjamez

Recruit
Thats what I'm thinking that the I/0 is out of whack. Was that a expense fix? The boat has always been kept out of the water so I really don't think its a water issue.

Last edited: