STRUCTURAL FAILURE

TUCK53

Cadet
I HAVE A 2011 PARTY BAGE 24 (STILL UNDER WARRANTY) WITH A STRUCTURAL FAILURE AT THE COSS MEMBERS AND MOTOR POD.

FAILURE IS WHERE MOTOR POD BOLTS U THRU CROSS MEMBER AT REAR OF BOAT. ALUMINUM CROSSMEMBER IS SEPERATING AND RIPPING ITSELF APART AND SHEARED CLEAN THRU ON EACH SIDE OF MOTOR POD ATTACHES TO CROSS MEMBER A SERIOUS AND DANGEROUS FAILURE
THE USE OF SHIMS ON BOTH SIDE IS WHERE IT HAS SHEARED CLEAN THRU BOTTOM PART OF CROSS MEMBER THERE ARE ONLY 4 BOLTS HOLDING UP MOTOR POD WITH 42 GAL TANK INSIDE AND TRANSOM WITH A MERC 115 HP 4 STROKE BOAT IS RATED FOR 115 I BOUGHT
BOAT BRAND NEW FROM TRACKER DEALER IN AZ BOAT HAS ONLY 32 HRS ON IT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OUT MAYBE 8 OR 9 TIMES

TOOK BOAT IN AND TOLD TRACKER DEALER BOAT HAS ALWAYS LEAKED BADLY IN CENTER OF FLOOR UP THRU CARPET SOAKING WHOLE FLOOR AND DECK AREA . UNDERSKINNING IS ONLY WAY TO REPAIR THIS PROBLEM THATS WHEN I NOTICE CROSS MEMBERS RIPPING APART AND BROKEN AT BOTTOM OF CROSS MEMBER WHERE SHIMS WERE USED BY FACTORY BOAT NOW BACK AT TRACKER MARINE FACTORY IN MISSOURI. PROBLEM 1 AM HAVING IS NO INFORMATION FROM TRACKER PASS THE BUCK I AS THE CUSTOMER DUE CERTAINLY BELIEVE I HAVE RIGHT TO KNOW AFTER TRACKER HAS DONE THEIR EVALUATION ( WHICH HAS BEEN DONE) OF HOW AND WHAT THEY INTEND TO DO ABOUT REPAIRING AND OR REPLACING COMPONETS AND PARTS. BUT SO FAR NO ONE AT TRACKER IS WILLING TO TELL ME THE OWNER/ CUSTOMER OTHER THAN ITS GOING TO GET FIXED. ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE WHO HAS DEALINGS WITH TRACKER WARRANTY DEPT I WUD BE GRATEFUL. I HAVE REQUESTED BOTH DEALER AND WARRANTY DEPT. TO PLS KEEP ME INFORMED AS TO THE HOW AND WHAT
TRACKER PLANS TO PROCEED WITH REPAIRS BUT NOBODY CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ????? I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT SO MUCH FOR
CUSTOMER RELEATIONS IF I LIVE CLOSER TO MISSOURI I ASSURE YOU I WUD AT FACTORY ASKING THE PLANT MANAGER THESE QUESTIONS DIRECTLY I AM NOT ASKING FOR A NEW BOAT OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT BUT I DID BUY UNKNOWINGLY A DEFECTIVE BOAT. HOW DO YOU ALL FEEL ABOUT THIS OUT THERE ? THINK YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT TRACKER REPAIR PLAN IS BEFORE OR DURING THE WORK IS PERFORMED ON YOUR BOAT? A BROKEN FRAME ON YOUR CAR YOU EXPECT CAR DEALER TO CALL YOU RIGHT???

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know that you have a "right" to know "how" they will repair the problem. That is their business and the only responsibility they have to you is to repair it correctly and reliably. Maybe they are still trying to figure out from an engineering point what went wrong or how to fix it...and they don't need customers demanding details when they are still trying to figure it out themselves. IMO, give them a chance to fix it and if they fail to do so after given an opportunity then you might have more grounds to make demands.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's pretty simple... Unless there is a recall they will repair it by putting it back to factory specs... This is a common problem with these boats. Once it is repaired you can either modify it to work better or try to sue them and return the boat....

Either way ranting about them in a public forum won't get it done.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Relax.
My buddy had a 2 or 3 year old tracker that started to leak. Sent it back to tracker. Never herd much of anything till he got back a brand new current model tracker. Took about 2 months.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i'm originally from the area and have people....

but yeah they don't get to sell that many boats without an issue here and there and without fixing them.

southkogs

Staff member
I've heard pretty good things about Tracker service ... never owned one of the boats though.

Go easy with 'em and work the problem. Be firm without being a grump and you'll probably do fine.

TUCK53

Cadet
tnx to all for your input i continue to be patient and understanding thru this process . It is frustrating though and hope that Tracker not only repair to factory specs
but i hope that would add some additional supports and some welding like on 2012 models and newer. my tracker dealer in lake havasu az had a 2008 sun tracker in for same type problem last year. Tracker Marine instructed dealer to completely re- build boat all new structural parts from toons up, including deck. Dealer said damage to my boat is worst. So I guess we just have wait see. A little commuication would be nice though ps sorry to all about caps in first post

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Tuck.

How long has Tracker had your Party Barge?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They have no obligation to keep you informed, right now, they might be trying to figure out what went wrong and how they can correct it for future runs. I know my buddy who owns a RV manufacturing company, when something goes wrong and comes back to the factory, they tear the RV apart to figure out what went wrong, how it can be made better and normally the customer gets a new and improved unit. It is not a fast process because he calls in the engineers and they go through it with a fine toothed comb to figure out why, when and how, then they redesign it so it won't happen again. Be patient and I am sure you will get something back that is designed much better and stronger.

TUCK53

Cadet
tnx again for support and input.Tracker in Missouri has had boat for 3 1/2 weeks,, MTboat guy tnx for info hope you are correct. A a retired
business owner myself and dealng all sorts of folks(supplier of natural stone) many of their names you would reconize and yes they were very difficult at times.
some of these folks didnt understand or believe that natural stone colors vary piece by piece ????? i will try to reach somebody at factory Monday and ck too see if I can get any info before it shows up in Az

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Have you read your warranty thoroughly to see exactly what it says? That should pretty much tell you what their obligations are to you, the customer. Customer Service is always up to the Business. Some do it better than others. TMI can be a BAD thing in some cases for companies so they usually tend to play it close to the vest. If you know a Legal Eagle you could always have them call and represent you to see if that would get the ball rolling. You DO have rights in this matter and they as the Company DO have to respect those rights. They as a matter of FACT are in the wrong and even though they appear to be attempting to do the right thing you can ask to be informed. What they do after that will determine their character!!!!;)

TUCK53

Cadet
Tnx again to all for in-put I have just been advised boat repairs finished although i do not know what was done ( and I have asked for paperwork) . Also just found out is boat redy to shipped back Lake Havasu Az.. Hoo Ray Now I am told boat ( i thought hauled back by truck) was in fact pulled back to factory by pick-up truck Almost 3000 miles rnd trip I bet nobody even gave the trailer a once over bearings? brakes? tires etc. Trailer had appx 400 miles on it before heading for Missouri Tracker Boat Dealer just said nope, a pick-up truck hooked up to it and took off!!!!

Any suggestions folks when it arrives back to tracker dealer in Az.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Most of the time, those guys that haul, pretty much know what they are doing, I used to haul a half dozen truck campers to Alaska once every couple of weeks for my buddy and you develop a routine that is really just second nature, when it gets back, I would ask the dealer to check the bearings and such on the trailer, it will be the least they can do for all of the troubles you have had

When it arrives, don't even hook it up to your tow vehicle without inspecting every single inch of both the boat and the trailer and note anything that looks amiss to you, so it can be addressed to your satisfaction. There is a saying in the various vehicle business's , once it is over the curb it is your problem. Also make sure to get any paper work on what they did as well as how long they are going to guarantee the repair before you hook it up to your tow vehicle, make sure that you read it and that the dealer does as well and make them sign the paper work.

You just want to make sure you are covered in case it fails again.

TUCK53

Cadet
Thank you once again MT boatguy I will do just exactlly as you said I certainly would thought after dealer told me Tracker haul back to factory after dealer de-rigged boat my ( everything off boat personal) and motor off and gas tank empyted, i also told that way engineers wanted to inspect without any further damage as to figure out how and why so to improve or learn something from incident. But i will ck everything i wont miss anything
what the saying question everything and inspect trust but verify right