Got a boat today!

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a Proline in good shape so picked it up today! All it should need is a good cleaning and a motor but I'll find out more as I go through it. It has Mercury controls already so going to start the hunt :).
28sracj.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sucker!

LMAO

No, it is a good looking boat, get her cleaned up and motor on it and you will be styling!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sweet!

Hey did you notice the trailer looks to be a bit small in that the bunks are not supported for a few feet hanging off the back end.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. It's a 1997 Pro Line 201 cuddy cabin. Really surprised how big the inside of the cabin is for a 20' boat. Watermann I kind of wandered about that also. The previous owner said it was the original trailer that came with the boat. I've seen a lot of trailers set up like that though- not that it means anything lol. It towed fine on the 100 mile trip home. Little different than towing my 15' tri hull I used to have. Look in every mirror and see nothing but boat!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Nice score. Should give you something to do for a while. Good luck in the motor hunt! Over the years I have purchased a number of boats that were engineless and have gotten them all at a very good price.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Any recommendations on what years of motors are the most reliable? Most people seem recommend a 150 for the boat. Max is 175. Honestly usually prefer evinrude/Johnson since I loved the v4 I had and it was relatively cheap and easy to work on but was going try and stick with a mercury just because I already the controls. I read good things about the 2.5l they used make in the 90s. I'm fine carb'd motors and premix lol. Don't know much about outboards with efi but I'd imagine parts are more $.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
All my experience has been limited to 60hp and below so I'll be no help there. Would guess that a 150hp would be in the ballpark and by the 70% rule of thumb that should give you a wide range to look at. OMC, Merc, Mariner, Yamaha. All made good engines in those ranges.

Watermann

Oh yeah a 90's model Black Max 150 would be perfect for your cruiser :thumb:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If it's rated for a 175 that is what I would look for,.....

A 175 Merc Optimax ProXS would work very well on that boat,...

Maybe look into mirror extension thing-a-ma-bobs to make seeing backwards easier,.....

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I found an early 90s 175 Yamaha with a powerhead that was rebuilt 4 years ago that I was considering. Includes controls. I'm not sure about how compatible it would with the controls already on the boat or the gauges. Or how difficult it would be run new controls. The gauges on the boat are faria analog. I've read that often mercury controls will often work with Yamaha and vice versa. Anybody know?

Watermann

If the Yamaha includes controls why worry about it, if that's the motor you want snag it! The gauges should work fine, just check the tach to make sure it's set right is all.